Eric Dettinger

7/17/2004 1:40:00 AM

I keep seeing that a SoapFormatter is ideal for communication between
applications that use incompatible architecture, whereas
BinaryFormatter can only be understood by .NET applications. How
exactly does the SoapFormatter provide interoperability when it is a
..NET class itself?
2 Answers

Bob Rundle

Because the protocol (SOAP) is a standard. TCP/IP is also implemented in
..NET classes and these are also interoperable.

Bob Rundle

"Eric Dettinger" <eric AT sandshadow FULLSTOP com> wrote in message
> I keep seeing that a SoapFormatter is ideal for communication between
> applications that use incompatible architecture, whereas
> BinaryFormatter can only be understood by .NET applications. How
> exactly does the SoapFormatter provide interoperability when it is a
> .NET class itself?

Sunny

In article <O23R075aEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Eric Dettinger"
<eric AT sandshadow FULLSTOP com> says...
> I keep seeing that a SoapFormatter is ideal for communication between
> applications that use incompatible architecture, whereas
> BinaryFormatter can only be understood by .NET applications. How
> exactly does the SoapFormatter provide interoperability when it is a
> .NET class itself?

This is not completely true. Mono (www.project-mono.com) is completely
binary compatible (in terms of serialization). The problem may occur is
passing between .net and mono some buildin classes (like hashtables),
because the internal implementation may differ. But for simple types,
and user defined types it is completely compatible.

Sunny