ASP.NET for iPhone Develomment?

guy

1/15/2009 10:19:00 PM

I need to develop a web app supported by iPhone (Safari). Is ASP.NET a (good)
option for this kind of development?
Thanks

4 Answers

Nathan Sokalski

ASP.NET is for developing Web Applications. If you want to write a Web
Application that can be viewed on a mobile device (since the iPhone is a
mobile device), then ASP.NET is a great choice. If you want to write an
application for use on an iPhone, then ASP.NET is not an appropriate choice.
There may be a way to write applications for the iPhone using other .NET
languages (I am a web developer, so I don't have a lot of experience with
writing applications other than web applications). I would suggest searching
the web, there may be a SDK available for .NET for creating applications for
the iPhone, there may also be some useful information somewhere on Apple's
site, but ASP.NET is for web development, not other types of applications.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

"Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to develop a web app supported by iPhone (Safari). Is ASP.NET a
>(good)
> option for this kind of development?
> Thanks

guy

thanks.

But native iPhone apps was clear to me (and not meant by my question)
there's only one possibility today: Objective-C with iPhone SDK. But my
question was a web app that can be used using an iPhone Safari web browser.

"Nathan Sokalski" wrote:

> ASP.NET is for developing Web Applications. If you want to write a Web
> Application that can be viewed on a mobile device (since the iPhone is a
> mobile device), then ASP.NET is a great choice. If you want to write an
> application for use on an iPhone, then ASP.NET is not an appropriate choice.
> There may be a way to write applications for the iPhone using other .NET
> languages (I am a web developer, so I don't have a lot of experience with
> writing applications other than web applications). I would suggest searching
> the web, there may be a SDK available for .NET for creating applications for
> the iPhone, there may also be some useful information somewhere on Apple's
> site, but ASP.NET is for web development, not other types of applications.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansok...
>
> "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need to develop a web app supported by iPhone (Safari). Is ASP.NET a
> >(good)
> > option for this kind of development?
> > Thanks

Hillbilly

Nathan is dead wrooooooong.

ASP.NET can be used successfully to develop pages that will run on any
device. Its just a matter of learning to use search to find the
device-specific information and learning to use our tools. If you do this
you will learn the current and all future mobile devices support XHTML-MP
(Mobile Profile).

The work I have been doing displays as intended when using the WebKit parser
which a number of browsers on the desktop and mobile browsers are using
Safari and Google Chrome being two of the most well known.

All you need to do is install Safari or Chrome on your desktop and load any
page developed using ASP.NET and you will see --exactly-- what you will see
on a mobile device that uses the same WebKit parser.

Finally, leanr to use Opera for testing too as it has some unique features
for viewing mobile devices with small screens.

.

> thanks.
>
> But native iPhone apps was clear to me (and not meant by my question)
> there's only one possibility today: Objective-C with iPhone SDK. But my
> question was a web app that can be used using an iPhone Safari web
> browser.
>

> "Nathan Sokalski" wrote:
>
>> ASP.NET is for developing Web Applications. If you want to write a Web
>> Application that can be viewed on a mobile device (since the iPhone is a
>> mobile device), then ASP.NET is a great choice. If you want to write an
>> application for use on an iPhone, then ASP.NET is not an appropriate
>> choice.
>> There may be a way to write applications for the iPhone using other .NET
>> languages (I am a web developer, so I don't have a lot of experience with
>> writing applications other than web applications). I would suggest
>> searching
>> the web, there may be a SDK available for .NET for creating applications
>> for
>> the iPhone, there may also be some useful information somewhere on
>> Apple's
>> site, but ASP.NET is for web development, not other types of
>> applications.
>> --
>> Nathan Sokalski
>> njsokalski@hotmail.com
>> http://www.nathansok...
>>
>> "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I need to develop a web app supported by iPhone (Safari). Is ASP.NET a
>> >(good)
>> > option for this kind of development?
>> > Thanks

Jesse Mandel

How is Nathan wrong? He clearly said, "If you want to write a Web
Application that can be viewed on a mobile device (since the iPhone is a
mobile device), then ASP.NET is a great choice."

If you are targeting iPhone though, there are a bunch of proprietary
css/html tags you can use to do animations and improve the user experience on
the iPhone.

-Jesse