comp.lang.c

datatype for bit flags

I am not an expert C or C++ programmer but know enough to get by.

Currently studying some graphics algorithms as a part of CAD.

In the Cohen Sutherland Algorithm of line clipping, a code/flag is using
for denoting where an endpoint of the line lies as compared to the
clipping rectangle.

This code consists of 4 flags (1 each for left, right, below & above).

type code = 0;

if(point lies to the left of clipping window)
code = code & 1;
if(point lies to right)
code = code & 2;

if(point lies below)
code = code & 4;
if(point lies above)
code = code & 8;

Now in some books the type of code is declared
as
unsigned char code;
In others, it's
int code;

which is better?

unsigned char code saves space
(is the unsigned really necessary anyway?)

but I think int is probably faster.

Can someone explain what's a better way to do this if you were
writing a graphics library?
14 Answers

jacob navia

Le 15/09/11 09:07, Gr a écrit :
> I am not an expert C or C++ programmer but know enough to get by.
>
> Currently studying some graphics algorithms as a part of CAD.
>
> In the Cohen Sutherland Algorithm of line clipping, a code/flag is using
> for denoting where an endpoint of the line lies as compared to the
> clipping rectangle.
>
> This code consists of 4 flags (1 each for left, right, below & above).
>
> type code = 0;
>
> if(point lies to the left of clipping window)
> code = code & 1;
> if(point lies to right)
> code = code & 2;
>
> if(point lies below)
> code = code & 4;
> if(point lies above)
> code = code & 8;
>

> Now in some books the type of code is declared
> as
> unsigned char code;
> In others, it's
> int code;
>
> which is better?

unsigned code;

would be better since you are doing bit operations with
the data.

> unsigned char code saves space

It depends of the alignment requirements of the rest of the
data. If you want to make an array of 20 000 of those flags
then unsigned char would be better. For just a single flag
int would be better since the machine doesn't have to
clear a register and then load the character into it when
operating on it.

> (is the unsigned really necessary anyway?)

It depends on the operations you are doing with the data.
By the way are you sure you want
code = code & 1
This sets to zero all bits but the last... If the last was zero
it remains zero.

Or maybe you intended
code = code | 1;

That *sets* the last bit to 1.

> but I think int is probably faster.

No

> Can someone explain what's a better way to do this if you were
> writing a graphics library?

You would have to explain more what you want to do. Now, you are doing
nothing, i.e. if you have an int with all zeros, after your operations
the data remains the same: all zeroes.

On 15-09-2011 12:56 PM, jacob navia wrote:
> Le 15/09/11 09:07, Gr a écrit :
>> I am not an expert C or C++ programmer but know enough to get by.
>>
>> Currently studying some graphics algorithms as a part of CAD.
>>
>> In the Cohen Sutherland Algorithm of line clipping, a code/flag is using
>> for denoting where an endpoint of the line lies as compared to the
>> clipping rectangle.
>>
>> This code consists of 4 flags (1 each for left, right, below & above).
>>
>> type code = 0;
>>
>> if(point lies to the left of clipping window)
>> code = code & 1;
>> if(point lies to right)
>> code = code & 2;
>>
>> if(point lies below)
>> code = code & 4;
>> if(point lies above)
>> code = code & 8;
>>

>> Now in some books the type of code is declared
>> as
>> unsigned char code;
>> In others, it's
>> int code;
>>
>> which is better?
>>

> unsigned code;
>
> would be better since you are doing bit operations with
> the data.

Are you saying that whenever I am doing bit operations, it's better to
use unsigned data types instead of signed ones.

I guess if you are left shifting or right shifting, then using unsigned
is better. How if you are just & (to check if a bit is set) & | (to set
a bit), does it make a diff if you use a signed datatype or an unsigned
one? I guess signed type would you give you one less bit to work with as
compared to an unsigned one, but other than that would it make a difference?

>> unsigned char code saves space
>
> It depends of the alignment requirements of the rest of the
> data. If you want to make an array of 20 000 of those flags
> then unsigned char would be better. For just a single flag
> int would be better since the machine doesn't have to
> clear a register and then load the character into it when
> operating on it.
>

>> (is the unsigned really necessary anyway?)
>>

> It depends on the operations you are doing with the data.

Here is a link to what I am doing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohen%E2%80%93Sutherland_algorithm#Example_C.2FC.2B.2B_impl...

> By the way are you sure you want
> code = code & 1
> This sets to zero all bits but the last... If the last was zero
> it remains zero.
>
> Or maybe you intended
> code = code | 1;
>
> That *sets* the last bit to 1.

Yes, true.

All the &'s in my psuedocode should have been |'s.

>> but I think int is probably faster.
>>
> No
>
>> Can someone explain what's a better way to do this if you were
>> writing a graphics library?
>
> You would have to explain more what you want to do. Now, you are doing
> nothing, i.e. if you have an int with all zeros, after your operations
> the data remains the same: all zeroes.

Malcolm McLean

On Sep 15, 10:07 am, Gr <g...@g.com> wrote:

> unsigned char code;
> In others, it's
> int code;
>
> which is better?
>
> unsigned char code saves space
> (is the unsigned really necessary anyway?)
>
> but I think int is probably faster.
>
> Can someone explain what's a better way to do this if you were
> writing a graphics library?

It really doesn't matter, unless you are storing millions of these
codes, or the operation is right within the inner loop.

If storing millions, unsigned char will save space. If the operation
is in the inner loop, int might just save enough time to be
measurable, though it's doubtful.

jacob navia

Le 15/09/11 10:03, Gr a écrit :

> Are you saying that whenever I am doing bit operations, it's better to
> use unsigned data types instead of signed ones.

Yes, since the data is not an integer, just a collection of
flags. That way I am sure I can use CHAR_BIT*8 flags with
no problems if I do shifts, etc.

Obviously for ANDing the last 4 bits either declaration is OK.

> I guess if you are left shifting or right shifting, then using unsigned
> is better. How if you are just & (to check if a bit is set) & | (to set
> a bit), does it make a diff if you use a signed datatype or an unsigned
> one? I guess signed type would you give you one less bit to work with as
> compared to an unsigned one, but other than that would it make a
> difference?

Not at all.

[snip]

>> By the way are you sure you want
>> code = code & 1
>> This sets to zero all bits but the last... If the last was zero
>> it remains zero.
>>
>> Or maybe you intended
>> code = code | 1;
>>
>> That *sets* the last bit to 1.
>
> Yes, true.
>
> All the &'s in my psuedocode should have been |'s.

OK, now it is clearer what you want to do.

Bartc

"Gr" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:j4s877$2a0$1@dont-email.me...

> In the Cohen Sutherland Algorithm of line clipping, a code/flag is using
> for denoting where an endpoint of the line lies as compared to the
> clipping rectangle.
>
> This code consists of 4 flags (1 each for left, right, below & above).
>
> type code = 0;
>
> if(point lies to the left of clipping window)
> code = code & 1;
> if(point lies to right)
> code = code & 2;
>
> if(point lies below)
> code = code & 4;
> if(point lies above)
> code = code & 8;

I've just looked at my code for this, and I'm using an 'or' operation ('|'
in C), to build the 'outcode'. In fact looking at your code, your 'code'
variable is only ever going to be zero.

As for what type to use for 'code', it probably doesn't really matter. Get
the whole project working first, then worry about whether that tiny aspect
is a bottleneck or not.

--
bartc

On 15-09-2011 03:26 PM, BartC wrote:
> "Gr" <g@g.com> wrote in message news:j4s877$2a0$1@dont-email.me...
>
>> In the Cohen Sutherland Algorithm of line clipping, a code/flag is
>> using for denoting where an endpoint of the line lies as compared to
>> the clipping rectangle.
>>
>> This code consists of 4 flags (1 each for left, right, below & above).
>>
>> type code = 0;
>>
>> if(point lies to the left of clipping window)
>> code = code & 1;
>> if(point lies to right)
>> code = code & 2;
>>
>> if(point lies below)
>> code = code & 4;
>> if(point lies above)
>> code = code & 8;
>>

> I've just looked at my code for this, and I'm using an 'or' operation
> ('|' in C), to build the 'outcode'. In fact looking at your code, your
> 'code' variable is only ever going to be zero.

Yes - I typed that out by mistake - I am using |, not &.
I indicated that in a followup to jacob navia.

> As for what type to use for 'code', it probably doesn't really matter.
> Get the whole project working first, then worry about whether that tiny
> aspect is a bottleneck or not.

It's not a project. I am just a looking at the implementation in 2
different text books - one using an unsigned char & the other using an
int & hence wondered about the choices & if one is a better choice than
the other.

Phil Carmody

Gr <g@g.com> writes:
> I am not an expert C or C++ programmer but know enough to get by.
>
> Currently studying some graphics algorithms as a part of CAD.
>
> In the Cohen Sutherland Algorithm of line clipping, a code/flag is
> using for denoting where an endpoint of the line lies as compared to
> the clipping rectangle.
>
> This code consists of 4 flags (1 each for left, right, below & above).
>
> type code = 0;
>
> if(point lies to the left of clipping window)
> code = code & 1;
> if(point lies to right)
> code = code & 2;
>
> if(point lies below)
> code = code & 4;
> if(point lies above)
> code = code & 8;
>

> Now in some books the type of code is declared
> as
> unsigned char code;
> In others, it's
> int code;
>
> which is better?

It depends.

> unsigned char code saves space
> (is the unsigned really necessary anyway?)
>
> but I think int is probably faster.

Unthink that thought.

There is no "think code is faster", there is only
"fact - code is not sufficiently fast" and
"measure which alternative code is faster".

> Can someone explain what's a better way to do this if you were
> writing a graphics library?

If the code-size is similar and the speed is similar,
why are you fussing about such trivialities? I'm sure
there are actual important architectural issues that
need to be adressed with much higher priority. You're
wasting too much time deciding what colour to paint
the bike shed.

Phil
--
"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."
-- Napoleon

Malcolm McLean

On Sep 16, 1:16 am, Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demun...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
> Gr <g...@g.com> writes:
>
> > but I think int is probably faster.
>
> Unthink that thought.
>
> There is no "think code is faster", there is only
> "fact - code is not sufficiently fast" and
> "measure which alternative code is faster".

int should be "the natural integer type" for the platform. Which means
that usually it will be the fastest type. You should use int for an
integer unless there is a clear reason for using another type. Though
each instance will only save a few cycles, if you systematically use
int the speed increment may be worth having.

--
Fuzzy Logic Trees - now in Apple ebooks
Read all about them on http://www.malcolmmclean.site...

Jorgen Grahn

On Fri, 2011-09-16, Malcolm McLean wrote:
> On Sep 16, 1:16 am, Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demun...@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> Gr <g...@g.com> writes:
>>
>> > but I think int is probably faster.
>>
>> Unthink that thought.
>>
>> There is no "think code is faster", there is only
>> "fact - code is not sufficiently fast" and
>> "measure which alternative code is faster".

I partly disagree. You also need some vague idea about what's
efficient and what's not, so you don't spend 20% more here and 18%
more there. Distributed fat is hard to profile.

> int should be "the natural integer type" for the platform. Which means
> that usually it will be the fastest type.

If you write a compiler today for an architecture where 16-bit ints
would be a bit faster than 32-bit, you'd still use 32-bit because
otherwise too much code would break.

And even on 32-bit architectures that generalization is too ...
generalized. What if you need an array of a million numbers between 0
and 7 -- will int be as fast as unsigned char? Most likely not.

> You should use int for an
> integer unless there is a clear reason for using another type. Though
> each instance will only save a few cycles, if you systematically use
> int the speed increment may be worth having.

In this case the problem didn't call for signedness, so I'd use
'unsigned'.

If the compiler had enough information to do further optimizations,
I'd stop worrying after that and leave it to the compiler.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Tony

Malcolm McLean wrote:

> You should use int for an
> integer unless there is a clear reason for using another type. Though
> each instance will only save a few cycles, if you systematically use
> int the speed increment may be worth having.

Did you mean that just in the context of the OP/this thread, or in
general?