microsoft.public.excel.programming

CreateDocumentFromUrl

Jack Clift

12/20/2006 1:39:00 AM

I am writing an application that uses oMSHTML.createDocumentFromUrl to parse
a series of .html files located on my local disk drive (not the web).

It appears that even though the files are found locally, this instruction is
trying to download the web resources referenced in the file (say images or
the like) - the reason for the file being on the local disk in the first
place is that the internet connection is slow at best and may or may not be
live.

Is there anyway to use this (or similar instructions) that do not attempt to
download items from to the web?

All that I want from the parsing exercise is information that is in the file
(in a table). My only option appears to be to write a routine that deletes
all text in the html file that is not between a "<table " and "</table tags.
Crude to say the least.

thanks

JC
2 Answers

NickHK

Jack,
You can open HTML in Excel. That will give you the data.
Maybe using a web query through a local web server would work also, as it
does not appear to work if you just point the browser to the local file.

NickHK

"Jack Clift" <JackClift@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am writing an application that uses oMSHTML.createDocumentFromUrl to
parse
> a series of .html files located on my local disk drive (not the web).
>
> It appears that even though the files are found locally, this instruction
is
> trying to download the web resources referenced in the file (say images or
> the like) - the reason for the file being on the local disk in the first
> place is that the internet connection is slow at best and may or may not
be
> live.
>
> Is there anyway to use this (or similar instructions) that do not attempt
> download items from to the web?
>
> All that I want from the parsing exercise is information that is in the
file
> (in a table). My only option appears to be to write a routine that
deletes
> all text in the html file that is not between a "<table " and "</table
tags.
> Crude to say the least.
>
> thanks
>
> JC

Martin Fishlock

Jack,

You could try opening the file as text and getting the table information
like that, it is much the same idea that you had.

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand