microsoft.public.excel.programming

RE: I'm in serious Excel Data Base trouble

alok

12/19/2006 7:44:00 PM

Hi Albert,
I just want to know if you definately need all the records in the central
database for the daily processing? Maybe you just need some aggregate
information from them (which will be good to know since one can then think of
aggregate queries on the data stored in a database) or you just need some
sub-set of records to validate the current record being entered. Can you
provide details as to why you need all the records at the workstations for
each day's work?
Alok

"Albert" wrote:

> Hi Alok
> What I mean by "storing in a Public Array" is that I open the central Data
> Base workbook and I use this command:
>
> Public MyDBase() as Variant
> Sub StorMyDataBase
> MyDBase = Range("A2").CurrentRegion
> End Sub
>
> It is a Data Base that inlcude all the sales the company has done this year.
> It is needed to process the new sales information and the stock analysis
> I've set up.
> At the end of the day, I go into the central DataBase and import the new
> records from the network stations.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Albert C
>
> "Alok" wrote:
>
> > Hi Albert,
> > Please explain as to what you mean by 'Store it in a Public Array' also give
> > some background of how and why you do it. Also how you update the central
> > Excel workbook at the end of the day. With all this info someone may be able
> > to suggest an alternative architecture.
> > Alok
> >
> > "Albert" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > > I´m in a complicated situation.
> > > I have 4 computers on my network working on one database.
> > > My setup is like this.
> > > The network stations each has a workbook programmed with vba. Every day,
> > > before doing any work, the station workbook opens the central database (excel
> > > workbook) and stores all its data as a public array. The guys on the stations
> > > do their work and at the end of the day, I import the records they generate
> > > into the central data base.
> > > So far, everything is going great: The speed is acceptable and the files
> > > have managable sizes.
> > > However, my central data base is about to reach 65000 records (rows). What
> > > should I do?
> > > If I put the central data base in Access and it grows over 65536 records,
> > > will my Excel stations still be able to read it and store it as a Public
> > > Array?
> > > What else can I do?
> > > I was thinking of turning the Central Database into a multi-sheet workbook,
> > > but I'm concerned about the speed with wich the Database is opened and stored
> > > as a public Array.
> > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Albert C
4 Answers

Albert

Hi Alok,
Well its complicated, but the main purpose of the program I am currently
using was to keep perfect trak of every single move/sale made by the company
(retail: 700+ records per day). Even though I am not discarding the
possiblity, I'd feel more confortable not having to aggregate the central
data base. The problem is not so much working with the data base, but storing
it in a way that is confortable for my VBA code to use.
The reason I need all the records is because Merchandise is permanently
moved around our warehouses, and every process has to be assigned to a
specific location (the latest one).
So you see I am facing quite the conundrum.
Thanks,
Albert C

"Alok" wrote:

> Hi Albert,
> I just want to know if you definately need all the records in the central
> database for the daily processing? Maybe you just need some aggregate
> information from them (which will be good to know since one can then think of
> aggregate queries on the data stored in a database) or you just need some
> sub-set of records to validate the current record being entered. Can you
> provide details as to why you need all the records at the workstations for
> each day's work?
> Alok
>
> "Albert" wrote:
>
> > Hi Alok
> > What I mean by "storing in a Public Array" is that I open the central Data
> > Base workbook and I use this command:
> >
> > Public MyDBase() as Variant
> > Sub StorMyDataBase
> > MyDBase = Range("A2").CurrentRegion
> > End Sub
> >
> > It is a Data Base that inlcude all the sales the company has done this year.
> > It is needed to process the new sales information and the stock analysis
> > I've set up.
> > At the end of the day, I go into the central DataBase and import the new
> > records from the network stations.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Albert C
> >
> > "Alok" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Albert,
> > > Please explain as to what you mean by 'Store it in a Public Array' also give
> > > some background of how and why you do it. Also how you update the central
> > > Excel workbook at the end of the day. With all this info someone may be able
> > > to suggest an alternative architecture.
> > > Alok

alok

Hi Albert,
With the information provided I cannot help you. However, you may like to
consider moving to Excel 2007 since it has 1 million rows. The launch is I
think scheduled for early next year but test/trial versions are freely
available for download/ordering on CD. This will let you remain within the
confines of Excel.
Alok

"Albert" wrote:

> Hi Alok,
> Well its complicated, but the main purpose of the program I am currently
> using was to keep perfect trak of every single move/sale made by the company
> (retail: 700+ records per day). Even though I am not discarding the
> possiblity, I'd feel more confortable not having to aggregate the central
> data base. The problem is not so much working with the data base, but storing
> it in a way that is confortable for my VBA code to use.
> The reason I need all the records is because Merchandise is permanently
> moved around our warehouses, and every process has to be assigned to a
> specific location (the latest one).
> So you see I am facing quite the conundrum.
> Thanks,
> Albert C
>
> "Alok" wrote:
>
> > Hi Albert,
> > I just want to know if you definately need all the records in the central
> > database for the daily processing? Maybe you just need some aggregate
> > information from them (which will be good to know since one can then think of
> > aggregate queries on the data stored in a database) or you just need some
> > sub-set of records to validate the current record being entered. Can you
> > provide details as to why you need all the records at the workstations for
> > each day's work?
> > Alok
> >
> > "Albert" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Alok
> > > What I mean by "storing in a Public Array" is that I open the central Data
> > > Base workbook and I use this command:
> > >
> > > Public MyDBase() as Variant
> > > Sub StorMyDataBase
> > > MyDBase = Range("A2").CurrentRegion
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > It is a Data Base that inlcude all the sales the company has done this year.
> > > It is needed to process the new sales information and the stock analysis
> > > I've set up.
> > > At the end of the day, I go into the central DataBase and import the new
> > > records from the network stations.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Albert C

Mark J

you should start using a database program like microsoft access, excel is not
really a great way to store large amounts of data.

"Albert" wrote:

> Hi Alok,
> Well its complicated, but the main purpose of the program I am currently
> using was to keep perfect trak of every single move/sale made by the company
> (retail: 700+ records per day). Even though I am not discarding the
> possiblity, I'd feel more confortable not having to aggregate the central
> data base. The problem is not so much working with the data base, but storing
> it in a way that is confortable for my VBA code to use.
> The reason I need all the records is because Merchandise is permanently
> moved around our warehouses, and every process has to be assigned to a
> specific location (the latest one).
> So you see I am facing quite the conundrum.
> Thanks,
> Albert C
>
> "Alok" wrote:
>
> > Hi Albert,
> > I just want to know if you definately need all the records in the central
> > database for the daily processing? Maybe you just need some aggregate
> > information from them (which will be good to know since one can then think of
> > aggregate queries on the data stored in a database) or you just need some
> > sub-set of records to validate the current record being entered. Can you
> > provide details as to why you need all the records at the workstations for
> > each day's work?
> > Alok
> >
> > "Albert" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Alok
> > > What I mean by "storing in a Public Array" is that I open the central Data
> > > Base workbook and I use this command:
> > >
> > > Public MyDBase() as Variant
> > > Sub StorMyDataBase
> > > MyDBase = Range("A2").CurrentRegion
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > It is a Data Base that inlcude all the sales the company has done this year.
> > > It is needed to process the new sales information and the stock analysis
> > > I've set up.
> > > At the end of the day, I go into the central DataBase and import the new
> > > records from the network stations.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Albert C

Albert

Thank you Alok,
I appreciate you taking the time to help me analyze the situation.
Albert C