comp.lang.python

OT: Meaning of "monkey"

Luis M. González

3/26/2010 1:15:00 PM

Webmonkey, Greasemonkey, monkey-patching, Tracemonkey, Jägermonkey,
Spidermonkey, Mono (monkey in spanish), codemonkey, etc, etc, etc...

Monkeys everywhere.
Sorry for the off topic question, but what does "monkey" mean in a
nerdy-geek context??

Luis
13 Answers

Kushal Kumaran

2010/3/26 Luis M. González <luismgz@gmail.com>:
> Webmonkey, Greasemonkey, monkey-patching, Tracemonkey, Jägermonkey,
> Spidermonkey, Mono (monkey in spanish), codemonkey, etc, etc, etc...
>
> Monkeys everywhere.
> Sorry for the off topic question, but what does "monkey" mean in a
> nerdy-geek context??

These might help you get the gist:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/C/code-m...
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/tape-m...

--
regards,
kushal

Robert Kern

On 2010-03-26 08:14 AM, Luis M. González wrote:
> Webmonkey, Greasemonkey, monkey-patching, Tracemonkey, Jägermonkey,
> Spidermonkey, Mono (monkey in spanish), codemonkey, etc, etc, etc...
>
> Monkeys everywhere.
> Sorry for the off topic question, but what does "monkey" mean in a
> nerdy-geek context??

Partly because "monkey" is just a funny word.

As for monkey-patching, it came from the Zope community:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monke...

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

On 2010-03-26, Luis M Gonz?lez <luismgz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Webmonkey, Greasemonkey, monkey-patching, Tracemonkey, J?germonkey,
> Spidermonkey, Mono (monkey in spanish), codemonkey, etc, etc, etc...
>
> Monkeys everywhere.
> Sorry for the off topic question, but what does "monkey" mean in a
> nerdy-geek context??

In colloquial English, "<something>-monkey" is a slang term for a
person who does a particular job for a living. For example "grease
monkey" is a slang term for an auto mechanic. A "code monkey" is
somebody who writes code for a living.

It can be slightly derogitory in some situations since it implies that
the task is mechanical and repetitive and doesn't require a lot of
creative thinking.

However, it can be used among peers in an affectionate way. One may
refer to one's peer as "code monkey" without offense, but a manager
could not refer to one of his employees as a "code monkey" without
risking it being seen as an insult.

Many people are accustomed to speaking anthopomorphically about
computers and programs, so when somebody writes a program that does
"foo", the name "foo monkey" seems natural for that program.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I don't know WHY I
at said that ... I think it

Robert Kern

On 2010-03-26 10:45 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2010-03-26, Luis M Gonz?lez<luismgz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Webmonkey, Greasemonkey, monkey-patching, Tracemonkey, J?germonkey,
>> Spidermonkey, Mono (monkey in spanish), codemonkey, etc, etc, etc...
>>
>> Monkeys everywhere.

> Many people are accustomed to speaking anthopomorphically about

"simiomorphically"?

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Mel

Grant Edwards wrote:
> However, it can be used among peers in an affectionate way. One may
> refer to one's peer as "code monkey" without offense, but a manager
> could not refer to one of his employees as a "code monkey" without
> risking it being seen as an insult.

Somewhere on the Internet there's a particularly brilliant pop song called
"Code Monkey".

Mel.

Jon Clements

On 26 Mar, 15:45, Grant Edwards <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-03-26, Luis M  Gonz?lez <luis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Webmonkey, Greasemonkey, monkey-patching, Tracemonkey, J?germonkey,
> > Spidermonkey, Mono (monkey in spanish), codemonkey, etc, etc, etc...
>
> > Monkeys everywhere.
> > Sorry for the off topic question, but what does "monkey" mean in a
> > nerdy-geek context??
>
> In colloquial English, "<something>-monkey" is a slang term for a
> person who does a particular job for a living.  For example "grease
> monkey" is a slang term for an auto mechanic.  A "code monkey" is
> somebody who writes code for a living.
>
> It can be slightly derogitory in some situations since it implies that
> the task is mechanical and repetitive and doesn't require a lot of
> creative thinking.
>
> However, it can be used among peers in an affectionate way.  One may
> refer to one's peer as "code monkey" without offense, but a manager
> could not refer to one of his employees as a "code monkey" without
> risking it being seen as an insult.
>
> Many people are accustomed to speaking anthopomorphically about
> computers and programs, so when somebody writes a program that does
> "foo", the name "foo monkey" seems natural for that program.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I don't know WHY I
>                                   at               said that ... I think it
>                               gmail.com            came from the FILLINGS in
>                                                    my rear molars ...

Can I take the slight risk that actually it can also be (as you said
'affectionately') in a very positive sense. The same way "geek" or
"nerd" can be applied. I used to be called "Big Geek" from the last
company I worked for on PAYE, but that was a compliment. But, I've
heard my step-dad call someone a "Geek" which is derogatory.

No winning when you have language that can mean "bad" (in meaning
"wicked/very good/awesome" (and even 'wicked' means good sometimes -
as in enthusiasm for an idea)) or actually "bad/not good [add your own
synonyms]". All valid, but which is good/bad :)

Anyway, this' a group for Python, not English :)

Feel better for my rant :)

Jon.

Tim Wintle

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 12:08 -0400, Mel wrote:
> Somewhere on the Internet there's a particularly brilliant pop song
> called "Code Monkey".

http://www.jonathancoulton.com/2006/04/14/thing-a-week-29-co...

(he's linked to the mp3 from there)

Phlip

On Mar 26, 6:14 am, Luis M. González <luis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Webmonkey, Greasemonkey, monkey-patching, Tracemonkey, Jägermonkey,
> Spidermonkey, Mono (monkey in spanish), codemonkey, etc, etc, etc...
>
> Monkeys everywhere.
> Sorry for the off topic question, but what does "monkey" mean in a
> nerdy-geek context??
>
> Luis

Better at typing than thinking.

Mensanator

On Mar 26, 2:44 pm, Phlip <phlip2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 26, 6:14 am, Luis M. González <luis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Webmonkey, Greasemonkey, monkey-patching, Tracemonkey, Jägermonkey,
> > Spidermonkey, Mono (monkey in spanish), codemonkey, etc, etc, etc...
>
> > Monkeys everywhere.
> > Sorry for the off topic question, but what does "monkey" mean in a
> > nerdy-geek context??
>
> > Luis
>
> Better at typing than thinking.

Really? I thought it was more of a reference to Eddington, i.e., given
enough time even a monkey can type out a program.

Emile van Sebille

On 3/26/2010 1:18 PM Mensanator said...
> On Mar 26, 2:44 pm, Phlip<phlip2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 26, 6:14 am, Luis M. González<luis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Webmonkey, Greasemonkey, monkey-patching, Tracemonkey, Jägermonkey,
>>> Spidermonkey, Mono (monkey in spanish), codemonkey, etc, etc, etc...
>>
>>> Monkeys everywhere.
>>> Sorry for the off topic question, but what does "monkey" mean in a
>>> nerdy-geek context??
>>
>>> Luis
>>
>> Better at typing than thinking.
>
> Really? I thought it was more of a reference to Eddington, i.e., given
> enough time even a monkey can type out a program.

I like the quote that went along the lines of 'here we are, and no we
haven't'