microsoft.public.excel.programming

How to intersect two coloumns in a third coloumns

jessie

12/19/2006 4:53:00 PM

Hi guys,

I am not so expert using excel so I need your help for this simple
problem.

What I have to do is to intersect the values contained in two coloumns
in a third coloumn.

For ex:

A1 -> 1 B1->4
A2 -> 3 B2->2
A2 -> 5 B3->6
A2 -> 7 B4->8
A2 -> 9 B5->10

The result of coloumn C should be (the condition is that the values of
A,B coloumns have to be put in sequence in the coloumn C)

C1->1
C2->2
C3->3
C4->4
C5->5
C6->6

Anyone know how to do that using an excel formula or macro?

Thanks in advance to all.
BR,
Jessie

3 Answers

Otto Moehrbach

Jessie
What does "intersect" mean? I know what the word means. What I want to
know is what does it mean in the context you are using it?
What does C1->x mean? HTH Otto
"jessie" <devill77@katamail.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> I am not so expert using excel so I need your help for this simple
> problem.
>
> What I have to do is to intersect the values contained in two coloumns
> in a third coloumn.
>
> For ex:
>
> A1 -> 1 B1->4
> A2 -> 3 B2->2
> A2 -> 5 B3->6
> A2 -> 7 B4->8
> A2 -> 9 B5->10
>
> The result of coloumn C should be (the condition is that the values of
> A,B coloumns have to be put in sequence in the coloumn C)
>
> C1->1
> C2->2
> C3->3
> C4->4
> C5->5
> C6->6
>
> Anyone know how to do that using an excel formula or macro?
>
> Thanks in advance to all.
> BR,
> Jessie

jessie

Sorry I think the correct word that explain what I mean is interleaved
not intersect.

Anyway think that the values in the coloumns A and B are timing values,
I have to create a coloumn C that contains the values of A and B but in
the correct timing order.

Can you help me on that?

Thanks again
BR,
Ale
Otto Moehrbach wrote:
> Jessie
> What does "intersect" mean? I know what the word means. What I want to
> know is what does it mean in the context you are using it?
> What does C1->x mean? HTH Otto
> "jessie" <devill77@katamail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I am not so expert using excel so I need your help for this simple
> > problem.
> >
> > What I have to do is to intersect the values contained in two coloumns
> > in a third coloumn.
> >
> > For ex:
> >
> > A1 -> 1 B1->4
> > A2 -> 3 B2->2
> > A2 -> 5 B3->6
> > A2 -> 7 B4->8
> > A2 -> 9 B5->10
> >
> > The result of coloumn C should be (the condition is that the values of
> > A,B coloumns have to be put in sequence in the coloumn C)
> >
> > C1->1
> > C2->2
> > C3->3
> > C4->4
> > C5->5
> > C6->6
> >
> > Anyone know how to do that using an excel formula or macro?
> >
> > Thanks in advance to all.
> > BR,
> > Jessie

jessie

Thanks a lot for the formula works perfectly.
I have an harder question now to complicate the problem.

For ex:
A1 -> 1 B1->640 C1->3 D1->1280
A2 -> 4 B2->640 C2->2 D2->640
A2 -> 5 B3->640 C3->6 D3->640
A2 -> 7 B4->1280 C4->8 D4->640
A2 -> 9 B5->640 C5->10 D5->1280

-The coloumns A&C contains the timing values
-The coloumn B contains the bytes received in the specific time
indicated in the coloumn A (ex: at the time 1 we receive 640 bytes).
-The coloumn D contains the bytes received in the specific time
indicated in the coloumn C (ex: at the time 4 we consumed 1280 bytes).

So I need to create two additional coloumns:
1-Containing the timing values in sequence as before
2-Containing the byte available in each specific time

For ex:

E1->1 F1-> 640
E2->2 F2-> 0
E3->3 F3-> -1280
E4->4 F4-> -640

Anyone know the formulas to create the coloumn E and F starting from
data available in the coloumns A,B,C,D?

Thanks again.
BR,
Jessie