microsoft.public.excel.programming

RE: Can't find project or library

Tyrone

12/19/2006 2:57:00 AM

This is the whole problem. *No* reference is marked as missing. We are
left with nothing that can help us find the error.

"Alok" wrote:

> Hi Tyrone
>
> When you get this message you need to go to the VB IDE and look at
> Tools/References. One or more references will be marked as 'Missing'. This
> normally happens when the developer has developed the Excel solution against
> a given library and the machine does not have that library (usually a DLL).
> Most often the DLL can be found on another computer or another version of the
> DLL may exist. for instance if the developer has developed against version
> 10.00 but the machine happens to have version 11.0 of that library, the
> problem is fixed by just selecting version 11.0 and selecting OK in the
> references dialog box.
>
> Alok
>
> "Tyrone" wrote:
>
> > I am supporting several users who are using a fairly elaborate system of
> > Excel VBA code. Some of it is in individual spreadsheets, some more in
> > add-ins written in-house, some more in third-party add-ins. These reference
> > other DLLs written either in-house or purchased from third parties. The
> > spreadsheets have elaborate vlookups, hlookups etc. that reference each
> > other, and do calculations based on each other's values.
> >
> > Such a system is, of course, a maintenance headache. One of the most cursed
> > error messages around here is the infamous "Can't find project or library".
> >
> > Which project or library can't it find? Where is it being referenced from?
> > What cell's formula set off this error? We don't know. A References dialog
> > will pop up, but nothing is marked as missing. Without knowing what
> > reference is missing, the dialog is virtually useless. The most I can do is
> > open VBE and try to compile the current project; but if this works (and it
> > usually does) we're left with nothing.
> >
> > The only other solution is to manually search thousands of lines of code,
> > and thousands of formulas in cells.
> >
> > There's got to be a better way than this. Yes, we shouldn't have built it
> > this way in the first place, but we did. Even then, can Excel really do no
> > better than "Can't find project or library"? Can it not tell us *which* one
> > is missing?
1 Answer

alok

Tyrone,
I have also faced the problem you have mentioned. Your problem can easily be
corrected by doing the following steps.
1. Note down one existing reference(In Tools/References in the IDE)
2. Uncheck this reference and hit OK.
earlier.
4. Again click OK to confirm.
Now everything should be OK. This works because Excel refreshes/re-registers
all the references when even one reference is added.
Alok