comp.lang.python

Python is cool!!

Jose Manuel

3/23/2010 4:56:00 PM

I have been learning Python, and it is amazing .... I am using the
tutorial that comes with the official distribution.

At the end my goal is to develop applied mathematic in engineering
applications to be published on the Web, specially on app. oriented to
simulations and control systems, I was about to start learning Java
but I found Python which seems easier to learn that Java.

Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....

Any opinion
9 Answers

Tim Golden

On 23/03/2010 16:55, Jose Manuel wrote:
> I have been learning Python, and it is amazing .... I am using the
> tutorial that comes with the official distribution.
>
> At the end my goal is to develop applied mathematic in engineering
> applications to be published on the Web, specially on app. oriented to
> simulations and control systems, I was about to start learning Java
> but I found Python which seems easier to learn that Java.
>
> Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
> read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....

You probably want to be looking at IronPython and Silverlight.
In fact, the prolific Michael Foord has already produced an
example of this, which gives you the Python tutorial online!

http://try...

TJG

geremy condra

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Tim Golden <mail@timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> On 23/03/2010 16:55, Jose Manuel wrote:
>>
>> I have been learning Python, and it is amazing .... I am using the
>> tutorial that comes with the official distribution.
>>
>> At the end my goal is to develop applied mathematic in engineering
>> applications to be published on the Web, specially on app. oriented to
>> simulations and control systems, I was about to start learning Java
>> but I found Python which seems easier to learn that Java.
>>
>> Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
>> read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....
>
> You probably want to be looking at IronPython and Silverlight.
> In fact, the prolific Michael Foord has already produced an
> example of this, which gives you the Python tutorial online!
>
>  http://try...
>
> TJG

Granted that I know next to nothing about webwork, but
is there a reason why you recommended a competing,
nonstandard technology rather than simply pointing him
towards more standards compliant tools that exist to do
exactly what he asked for? Seems a bit dodgy to
advocate a closed solution when the alternative has 100%
market share.

Geremy Condra

Tim Golden

On 23/03/2010 20:04, geremy condra wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Tim Golden<mail@timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
>> On 23/03/2010 16:55, Jose Manuel wrote:
>>> Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
>>> read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....
>>
>> You probably want to be looking at IronPython and Silverlight.
>> In fact, the prolific Michael Foord has already produced an
>> example of this, which gives you the Python tutorial online!
>>
>> http://try...
>>
>> TJG
>
> Granted that I know next to nothing about webwork, but
> is there a reason why you recommended a competing,
> nonstandard technology rather than simply pointing him
> towards more standards compliant tools that exist to do
> exactly what he asked for? Seems a bit dodgy to
> advocate a closed solution when the alternative has 100%
> market share.

I can't say I thought *very* hard before sending that but...
The OP asked for "integrate Python in Web Pages with HTML"
which I understood -- perhaps wrongly -- to mean: run Python
in the browser. The only two ways I'm aware of doing that
in Python are the undersupported Python-as-IE-scripting-language
and IronPython/Silverlight.

Now I look again, I realise that he may have meant simply:
Python as a server-side toolset with possible support for
Javascript. In which case, of course, my answer was not
so applicable.

TJG

Michael Torrie

Jose Manuel wrote:
> Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
> read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....

Django is, among several other similar projects and frameworks, very
popular for generating web apps in Python. I have only used Django and
it works very well.

Patrick Maupin

On Mar 23, 3:12 pm, Tim Golden <m...@timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> I can't say I thought *very* hard before sending that but...
> The OP asked for "integrate Python in Web Pages with HTML"
> which I understood -- perhaps wrongly -- to mean: run Python
> in the browser. The only two ways I'm aware of doing that
> in Python are the undersupported Python-as-IE-scripting-language
> and IronPython/Silverlight.

If I had to run Python in a browser, the first thing I would do is
turn to Pyjamas: http:/...

Regards,
Pat

Patrick Maupin

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Shashwat Anand
<anand.shashwat@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a project PyWhip (renamed as PyKata) which aims for the same
> purpose. Google AppEmgine + Django does the trick for that. May be you can
> take an inspiration or two from there especially because all code is open
> to/for you.

But, if I understand PyWhip/PyKata after glancing at the project page,
it doesn't actually run code in the browser...

Regards,
Pat

Parker

On Mar 23, 4:55 pm, Jose Manuel <jfernan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been learning Python, and it is amazing .... I am using the
> tutorial that comes with the official distribution.
>
> At the end my goal is to develop applied mathematic in engineering
> applications to be published on the Web, specially on app. oriented to
> simulations and control systems, I was about to start learning Java
> but I found Python which seems easier to learn that Java.
>
> Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
> read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....
>
> Any opinion

this must be the one you want
http://w...

bobicanprogram

On Mar 23, 11:55 am, Jose Manuel <jfernan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been learning Python, and it is amazing .... I am using the
> tutorial that comes with the official distribution.
>
> At the end my goal is to develop applied mathematic in engineering
> applications to be published on the Web, specially on app. oriented to
> simulations and control systems, I was about to start learning Java
> but I found Python which seems easier to learn that Java.
>
> Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
> read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....
>
> Any opinion

You probably want to take a look at this tutorial as well:

http://www.icanprogram.com/06py/lesson1/le...

The SIMPL toolkit will give you added flexibility to choose the
language for some of your more computationally intensive simulations
and still present a unified Python interface to the whole thing.

bob

Bruno Desthuilliers

Jose Manuel a écrit :
> I have been learning Python, and it is amazing .... I am using the
> tutorial that comes with the official distribution.
>
> At the end my goal is to develop applied mathematic in engineering
> applications to be published on the Web, specially on app. oriented to
> simulations and control systems, I was about to start learning Java
> but I found Python which seems easier to learn that Java.

Python is indeed quite lightweight when compared to Java. But it has
it's share of non-obvious features, dark corners, gotchas, and plain
warts too.

> Would it be easy to integrate Python in Web pages with HTML? I have
> read many info on Internet saying it is, and I hope so ....

If you think of some server-page PHP-like solution, you won't find much
usable stuff. There are quite a few Python web development toolkits /
frameworks, but Django is becoming the de facto standard. Arguably not
the "best" framework (depending on your definition of "best"), but
certainly one of the most pythonic and well documented around.