microsoft.public.excel.programming

Automatic Exchange Rates

Why Tea

12/18/2006 7:05:00 PM

Is there a way to program a worksheet to have exchanges rates
automatically updated from the Web?

/Why Tea

5 Answers

Gord Dibben

First of all you can go to Data>Import External Data>Import Date

Select the MS MoneyCentral Investor Rates.iqy

Dump to a new worksheet.

Data>Refresh whenever you like.

If you want a timed refresh, see Chip Peraron's site for OnTime code.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/...

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 18 Dec 2006 11:05:22 -0800, "Why Tea" <ytlim1@gmail.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to program a worksheet to have exchanges rates
>automatically updated from the Web?
>
>/Why Tea

Why Tea

Gord Dibben wrote:
> First of all you can go to Data>Import External Data>Import Date
>
> Select the MS MoneyCentral Investor Rates.iqy
>
> Dump to a new worksheet.
>
> Data>Refresh whenever you like.

Hi Gord, thanks a lot for the answer. It's amazingly easy if you know
how.

I have two more question:
1) Can I put a refresh button in the worksheet?
2) Why isn't Euros-US exchange rate in the table?

/Why Tea

Why Tea

> Hi Gord, thanks a lot for the answer. It's amazingly easy if you know
> how.
>
> I have two more question:
> 1) Can I put a refresh button in the worksheet?
> 2) Why isn't Euros-US exchange rate in the table?

Sorry Gord, I found the Euros in the table...

Gord Dibben

Copy/paste this code to a general module in the workbook.

Sub refresh_rates()
Selection.QueryTable.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
End Sub

If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
"getting started".

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/gets...

In the meantime..........

First...create a backup copy of your original workbook.

To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CRTL + r to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project and select it.

Right-click and Insert>Module. Paste the code in there. Save the
workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

Bring down the Forms Toolbar and select the Button tool.

Draw a button on your sheet.

Right-click and "Assign macro"

Assign the above to that button.

I don't know why there is no Euro to USD

You could search the 'net for a website with that info then create a New Query
from that site.

Gord

On 18 Dec 2006 12:41:06 -0800, "Why Tea" <ytlim1@gmail.com> wrote:

>Gord Dibben wrote:
>> First of all you can go to Data>Import External Data>Import Date
>>
>> Select the MS MoneyCentral Investor Rates.iqy
>>
>> Dump to a new worksheet.
>>
>> Data>Refresh whenever you like.
>
>Hi Gord, thanks a lot for the answer. It's amazingly easy if you know
>how.
>
>I have two more question:
> 1) Can I put a refresh button in the worksheet?
> 2) Why isn't Euros-US exchange rate in the table?
>
>/Why Tea

Why Tea

> Copy/paste this code to a general module in the workbook.
>
> Sub refresh_rates()
> Selection.QueryTable.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
> End Sub
>
> If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
> "getting started".

I'm not familiar with VBA, but I managed to get it to work. Thanks
Gord.

I had to put the button on the worksheet for the exchange rates. Is
there a way to put the button on the main worksheet (not on the same
worksheet as the exchange rates), which is in the same workbook?

/Why Tea