Peter

12/18/2006 10:40:00 AM

Can any one help?!

I am trying to say:
If cell [blah,blah] = Jack or Paddy then cell [blah, blah] should =
Jazz

The code I've got is:

If Cells(40, 1).Value = "Jack" Xor "Paddy" Xor "Andy" Xor "Gary" Then
Cells(41, 1).Value = "Jazz"
Else
Cells(41, 1).Value = "Blues"
End If

Needless to say that it doesn't work, so if any of you experts in
google land have any ideas then I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Thanks,

Peter

4 Answers

Richard Schollar

Peter

You could do it with a Select Case structure:

Select Case Cells(40, 1).Value
Case "Jack", "Paddy", "Andy", "Gary"
Cells(41, 1) = "Jazz"
Case Else
Cells(41, 1) = "Blues"
End Select

If you wanted to use If you'd need to do it like:

If Cells(40,1) = "Jack" Or Cells(40,1) = "Paddy" Or ... etc

which is long-winded.

You don't want to use Xor.

Richard

Peter wrote:
> Can any one help?!
>
> I am trying to say:
> If cell [blah,blah] = Jack or Paddy then cell [blah, blah] should =
> Jazz
>

> The code I've got is:
>
> If Cells(40, 1).Value = "Jack" Xor "Paddy" Xor "Andy" Xor "Gary" Then
> Cells(41, 1).Value = "Jazz"
> Else
> Cells(41, 1).Value = "Blues"
> End If
>

> Needless to say that it doesn't work, so if any of you experts in
> google land have any ideas then I'd be very grateful to hear them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

james.billy

Hi Peter,

You need to specify the cell again, so your code would be:

If Cells(40, 1).Value = "Jack" Or Cells(40, 1).Value = "Paddy" Or
Cells(40, 1).Value = "Andy" Or Cells(40, 1).Value ="Gary" Then
Cells(41, 1).Value = "Jazz"
Else
Cells(41, 1).Value = "Blues"
End If

A more elegant way and possibly an easier way is to use a select
statement, this would look like:

Select Case Cells(40,1).Value
Case "Jack", "Paddy", "Andy", "Gary"
Cells(41, 1).Value = "Jazz"
Case "Peter"
Cells(41, 1).Value = "R & B"
Case Else
Cells(41, 1).Value = "Blues"
End Select

So you select your case in this case Cells(40,1).value and for each
case you are just saying if it equals this then do this, very similar
to an IF statement.

I hope this helps,

James

Peter wrote:
> Can any one help?!
>
> I am trying to say:
> If cell [blah,blah] = Jack or Paddy then cell [blah, blah] should =
> Jazz
>

> The code I've got is:
>
> If Cells(40, 1).Value = "Jack" Xor "Paddy" Xor "Andy" Xor "Gary" Then
> Cells(41, 1).Value = "Jazz"
> Else
> Cells(41, 1).Value = "Blues"
> End If
>

> Needless to say that it doesn't work, so if any of you experts in
> google land have any ideas then I'd be very grateful to hear them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

Peter

Works like a charm,