microsoft.public.excel.programming

PT dimension renamed after AS2005 migration

tomas_mba

12/17/2006 11:15:00 PM

We have just migrated a cube from AS2000 to AS2005 using the migration
wizard. As a result of this migration, some of the dimensions are now renamed
and under AS2005 we cannot rename them to the same name they had under AS2000
(the dimension names under AS2000 contained "." in them).

Exemple: order date.YQMD --> order date YQMD

What happens is that once the user opens their PT report and does a refresh,
the table will of course "lose" the renamed dimensions (can be several
renamed dimensions in one PT).

My problem is that this renaming affects several dozens of Excel Pivot Table
files used by multiple users (unfortunately, each user uses their own copy of
an Excel PT spreadsheet). And therefore asking each user to manually add back
the dimensions in their pivot table is not a good plan.

My question is - is there a way how to programmatically change the layout of
the pivot table - basically something like loop through all pivot
items/fields and if the underlying cube dimension name contains a "." in the
original definition, replace it with a " "? So that when the user does a
refresh data the renamed dimension will be there instead of the old
(non-existing) one?

Or does anyone know of any other way of getting around this AS2005 migration
issue?

Thank you for any ideas.

Tomas