comp.lang.python

did anybody play with python and window mobile broadband?

News123

I'd like to use a mobile broadband device with a windows python app.
Did anybody play already with python and the window mobile broadband
interface?

I'm looking for examples:
- how to connect/disconnect a mobile broadband device (currently I use
rasdial. not sure it's the best solution)
- to obtain the device's current mode (GPRS / EDGE / . . . )
- to obtain the current signal level

Thanks a lot for any pointers

Sanjiva P.

On 03/18/2010 10:20 AM, News123 wrote:
> I'm looking for examples:
> - how to connect/disconnect a mobile broadband device (currently I use
> rasdial. not sure it's the best solution)
> - to obtain the device's current mode (GPRS / EDGE / . . . )
> - to obtain the current signal level
>
> Thanks a lot for any pointers

Well no examples,but most or all of it should work through AT commands.

Did you try plugging the mobile broadband interface in?

eglyph@gmail.com

On 18 ???, 11:20, News123 <news1...@free.fr> wrote:
> I'd like to use a mobile broadband device with a windows python app.
> Did anybody play already with python and the window mobile broadband
> interface?

There was a discussion on this subject in some local forum recently. I
assume you're using PythonCE, right?

The best solution proposed there was to use ctypes and WinAPI. You can
find a relatively high level APIs to set up a connection (without need
to go too low level with AT commands) and make your own wrapper.

A good starting point can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb4...
(it's not the only way to to things, btw).

--
regards,
eGlyph

News123

Hi Sanjiva,

Sanjiva P. wrote:
> On 03/18/2010 10:20 AM, News123 wrote:
>> I'm looking for examples:
>> - how to connect/disconnect a mobile broadband device (currently I use
>> rasdial. not sure it's the best solution)
>> - to obtain the device's current mode (GPRS / EDGE / . . . )
>> - to obtain the current signal level
>>
>> Thanks a lot for any pointers
>
> Well no examples,but most or all of it should work through AT commands.
Thanks, yes AT commands would be fine.
How can I send AT commands, while another application / connection
mnager is using the modem?

I just don't know how to send AT commands to a connected modem.

> Did you try plugging the mobile broadband interface in?

What do you mean with pluggging in?

ctypes?
or something else?

bye

News123

Hy Eglyph,

eglyph@gmail.com wrote:
> On 18 UDa, 11:20, News123 <news1...@free.fr> wrote:
>> I'd like to use a mobile broadband device with a windows python app.
>> Did anybody play already with python and the window mobile broadband
>> interface?
>>

> There was a discussion on this subject in some local forum recently. I
> assume you're using PythonCE, right?

No I'm using C-Python on a small windows PC (Atom) with a USB Boradband
modem.

Could you forward me the discussion in case you remember the forum?

> The best solution proposed there was to use ctypes and WinAPI. You can
> find a relatively high level APIs to set up a connection (without need
> to go too low level with AT commands) and make your own wrapper.
>
> A good starting point can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb4...
> (it's not the only way to to things, btw).

Thanks, I'll read into it.

bye