microsoft.public.excel.programming

Problem with filtering

Tim

12/16/2006 9:07:00 AM

I'm able to filter out lines which are complete duplicates of existing ones.

What I can't do is eliminate lines in which just one cell is duplicated.

For example, suppose I have two columns: email addresses and activities.
Someone has an email address alongside tennis and the same email address
alongside golf, but it's the duplicate email address that I want to filter
out. How can I get Excel to eliminate the second line?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Tim

1 Answer

Gary''s Student

Hi TIm:

We will use a combination of COUNIF() in a helper column and Autofiltering:

Say our data (in Cols A&B) is:

size type
large dog
medium dog
small dog
large cat
medium cat
small cat
large bird
medium bird
small bird
large fish
medium fish
small fish
tiny ant

in C2 enter:
=COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2) and copy down column C, resulting in:

size type helper
large dog 1
medium dog 1
small dog 1
large cat 2
medium cat 2
small cat 2
large bird 3
medium bird 3
small bird 3
large fish 4
medium fish 4
small fish 4
tiny ant 1

Then turn on autofilter and pick 1 for column C
--
Gary's Student