microsoft.public.excel.programming

Holding Shift to bypass Auto_Open doesn't work in Excel 2007...

WATYF1

12/15/2006 8:54:00 PM

Does anyone know about this and why it's happening? I used to be able
to bypass any Auto_Open (or Worksheet_Open) code by holding down Shift
while I open the spreadsheet... this is no longer working. My code runs
anyway, which makes it very difficult to modify/test code that's in an
Auto_Open procedure. Oddly enough, the "hold down Shift" method still
works just fine for Access 2007 and Word 2007.

Any ideas on how to get this working in Excel? I know I could set my
macro security to "Disable" and then change the code, then change my
security... then run the code and hope there are no errors.. then
change the security back to make changes... but that's a pretty huge
pain in the @$$.

Why on earth would they take away such a vital debugging feature?

WATYF

4 Answers

Ron de Bruin

Hi WATYF

Maybe you have a macro shortcut that use the Shift key.

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.n...

<WATYF1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166216030.884168.303060@t46g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Does anyone know about this and why it's happening? I used to be able
> to bypass any Auto_Open (or Worksheet_Open) code by holding down Shift
> while I open the spreadsheet... this is no longer working. My code runs
> anyway, which makes it very difficult to modify/test code that's in an
> Auto_Open procedure. Oddly enough, the "hold down Shift" method still
> works just fine for Access 2007 and Word 2007.
>
> Any ideas on how to get this working in Excel? I know I could set my
> macro security to "Disable" and then change the code, then change my
> security... then run the code and hope there are no errors.. then
> change the security back to make changes... but that's a pretty huge
> pain in the @$$.
>
> Why on earth would they take away such a vital debugging feature?
>
> WATYF

WATYF1

No. These are the same macros I've always used. I haven't changed
anything or added any keystrokes. Are you saying that you can bypass
Auto_open by holding down shift in 2007?

On Dec 16, 4:40 am, "Ron de Bruin" <rondebr...@kabelfoon.nl> wrote:
> Hi WATYF
>
> Maybe you have a macro shortcut that use the Shift key.
>
> --
>
> Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.n...
>

> <WAT...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:1166216030.884168.303060@t46g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > Does anyone know about this and why it's happening? I used to be able
> > to bypass any Auto_Open (or Worksheet_Open) code by holding down Shift
> > while I open the spreadsheet... this is no longer working. My code runs
> > anyway, which makes it very difficult to modify/test code that's in an
> > Auto_Open procedure. Oddly enough, the "hold down Shift" method still
> > works just fine for Access 2007 and Word 2007.
>
> > Any ideas on how to get this working in Excel? I know I could set my
> > macro security to "Disable" and then change the code, then change my
> > security... then run the code and hope there are no errors.. then
> > change the security back to make changes... but that's a pretty huge
> > pain in the @$$.
>
> > Why on earth would they take away such a vital debugging feature?
>
> > WATYF- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Ron de Bruin

Hi WATYF

Working correct for me in 2007

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.n...

<WATYF1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166289420.250908.215670@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com...
> No. These are the same macros I've always used. I haven't changed
> anything or added any keystrokes. Are you saying that you can bypass
> Auto_open by holding down shift in 2007?
>
> On Dec 16, 4:40 am, "Ron de Bruin" <rondebr...@kabelfoon.nl> wrote:
>> Hi WATYF
>>
>> Maybe you have a macro shortcut that use the Shift key.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards Ron de Bruinhttp://www.rondebruin.n...
>>

>> <WAT...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:1166216030.884168.303060@t46g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> > Does anyone know about this and why it's happening? I used to be able
>> > to bypass any Auto_Open (or Worksheet_Open) code by holding down Shift
>> > while I open the spreadsheet... this is no longer working. My code runs
>> > anyway, which makes it very difficult to modify/test code that's in an
>> > Auto_Open procedure. Oddly enough, the "hold down Shift" method still
>> > works just fine for Access 2007 and Word 2007.
>>
>> > Any ideas on how to get this working in Excel? I know I could set my
>> > macro security to "Disable" and then change the code, then change my
>> > security... then run the code and hope there are no errors.. then
>> > change the security back to make changes... but that's a pretty huge
>> > pain in the @$$.
>>
>> > Why on earth would they take away such a vital debugging feature?
>>
>> > WATYF- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

WATYF1

Well crap.... is it a setting somewhere now? Because I can open Excel
(with no other files or add-ins open) and create a simple workbook with
nothing but MsgBox "Hi" in an Auto_Open procedure. And when I open
that file, the msgbox still pops-up, even though I'm holding shift.

There has to be some kind of simple explanation for this. ???

WATYF