microsoft.public.excel.programming

Compare 2 list and extract continous range

Tamil

12/15/2006 6:17:00 AM

Hello,

This is my first post. I have two list of data and want to extract
continous range.
eg. 1 2
2 3
5 6
6 7
8 10

I want continous range like
1 3
5 7
8 10

I have to handle large data. Either formula or query is required.

Thanks,
Panneer selvam

3 Answers

NickHK

I understand the 1-3 and possibly the 5-7, but how is 8 10 continuous ?
Also it is not 5-8 as continuous ?

Or are there other rules ?

NickHK

"Tamil" <spanneer2001@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> This is my first post. I have two list of data and want to extract
> continous range.
> eg. 1 2
> 2 3
> 5 6
> 6 7
> 8 10
>
> I want continous range like
> 1 3
> 5 7
> 8 10
>
> I have to handle large data. Either formula or query is required.
>
> Thanks,
> Panneer selvam

Martin Fishlock

Panneer:

Is this what you want?

Option Explicit

Sub makelist()

Dim rSel As Range
Dim x1, x2
Dim lRowStart As Long, lRowEnd As Long
Dim lRow As Long, lRowAns As Long
Dim lCol1 As Long, lCol2 As Long

Set rSel = Selection

lCol1 = rSel.Column
lCol2 = lCol1 + rSel.Columns.Count - 1
lRowStart = rSel.Row
lRowEnd = lRowStart + rSel.Rows.Count - 1
lRowAns = lRowEnd + 3

x1 = Cells(lRowStart, lCol1)
x2 = Cells(lRowStart, lCol2)

For lRow = lRowStart + 1 To lRowEnd Step 1
If x2 <> Cells(lRow, lCol1) Then
Cells(lRowAns, lCol1) = x1
Cells(lRowAns, lCol2) = x2
lRowAns = lRowAns + 1
x1 = Cells(lRow, lCol1)
x2 = Cells(lRow, lCol2)
Else
x2 = Cells(lRow, lCol2)
End If
Next lRow

Cells(lRowAns, lCol1) = x1
Cells(lRowAns, lCol2) = x2

End Sub

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock

"Tamil" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is my first post. I have two list of data and want to extract
> continous range.
> eg. 1 2
> 2 3
> 5 6
> 6 7
> 8 10
>
> I want continous range like
> 1 3
> 5 7
> 8 10
>
> I have to handle large data. Either formula or query is required.
>
> Thanks,
> Panneer selvam

Tamil

Fantastic Mr.Martin,

Thanks a lot.

This is what I required.

You saved much time for my routine work.

Hats off to Google group.

- Panneer