microsoft.public.excel.programming

Drop-down list dependant on another cell value

samdev

12/15/2006 5:09:00 AM

I want to create a drop-down list (using Data, Validation, selecting
List...) but the drop--down list that opens will be dependant on the
value of another cell.

For example:

In A1 the value "fruit" is entered and the drop-down list in B1 will
list fruit, but if "vegetable" is entered in A1 than a drop-down list
of vegetables will be displayed, if "meat" is entered in A1 then the
drop-down list will display a list of meat etc...

Right now there are 9 different options that could be entered in Column
A - this number may increase in the future. Each of these 9 options has
anywhere from 1 to 7 possibilities.

Any help would be appreciated. thx,

2 Answers

Martin Fishlock

Sam

Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site http://www.contex...

She has a nice exampe at http://www.contex...xlDataVal02.html

Which also uses fresh produce (lol).

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock

"samdev" wrote:

> I want to create a drop-down list (using Data, Validation, selecting
> List...) but the drop--down list that opens will be dependant on the
> value of another cell.
>
> For example:
>
> In A1 the value "fruit" is entered and the drop-down list in B1 will
> list fruit, but if "vegetable" is entered in A1 than a drop-down list
> of vegetables will be displayed, if "meat" is entered in A1 then the
> drop-down list will display a list of meat etc...
>
> Right now there are 9 different options that could be entered in Column
> A - this number may increase in the future. Each of these 9 options has
> anywhere from 1 to 7 possibilities.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. thx,

samdev

Perfect - exactly what I'm looking for - thx!! Have a great weekend!