microsoft.public.excel.programming

Re: Find & Replace macro limit?

NickHK

12/14/2006 11:00:00 AM

Nothing wrong with the code as such.
No reason why there is a limit, as they are each a separate statement.

But you may find it easier entering all the names in a range and do the
replace in a loop.
Make sure the names are not the same worksheet (or they will get replaced
also), or limit your replacement to a range instead Cells.

Dim Cell As Range

For Each Cell In Worksheet("NotThisSheet").Range("A1:A20")
Cells.Replace What:=Cell.Value & "*", Replacement:=" " & Cell.Value,
LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
Next

NickHK

"RS" <RS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm working in Excel 2000 and want to know if there is a limit on the
number
> of items you can put in a Find & Replace macro. I have a spreadsheet that
> import that has different names appearing at various places within a
column
> and I want to replace those names in one step with items in my macro. I
was
> editing a Find & Replace macro to include more than one item at a time,
but
> after I entered 13 items, anything else I added turned a red color. Here
is
> the code I am working on:
>
> Sub ComboTest()
> '
> ' ComboTest Macro
> '
>
> '
> Cells.Replace What:="Boulder*", Replacement:=" Boulder",
LookAt:=xlPart, _
> SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> Cells.Replace What:="Boston Area Net-Service", Replacement:="BANS", _
> LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> Cells.Replace What:="Colorado*", Replacement:="CBCS", LookAt:=xlPart,
_
> SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> Cells.Replace What:="CRP*", Replacement:="CRP", LookAt:=xlPart, _
> SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> Cells.Replace What:="California Case*", Replacement:="Cal Case",
> LookAt:= _
> xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> Cells.Replace What:="Dallas*", Replacement:=" Dallas", LookAt:=xlPart,
_
> SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> Cells.Replace What:="East Texas ARC", Replacement:="ETARC", LookAt:= _
> xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> Cells.Replace What:="ENACT INC", Replacement:="Enact", LookAt:=xlPart,
_
> SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> Cells.Replace What:="Great Falls*", Replacement:="GF", LookAt:= _
> xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> Cells.Replace What:="Harbor*", Replacement:="Harbor", LookAt:=xlPart,
_
> SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> Cells.Replace What:="Las Vegas*", Replacement:=" Las Vegas ",
> LookAt:=xlPart _
> , SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> Cells.Replace What:="Sacramento*", Replacement:=" Sacramento",
LookAt:= _
> xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> Cells.Replace What:="Washington*", Replacement:="Washington",
> LookAt:=xlPart, _
> SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> End Sub
>
> As I mentioned before, trying to add any more Replace items causes
the
> new lines of code to turn red. Is there a way around this apparent limit?

4 Answers

RS

Dear Nick,

Since I'm new to VB coding, how would I do this? The problem that I have is
that the imported spreadsheet could have some different names every time and
those names appear can appear multiple times randomly within a column.
Sounds like what you're saying is for me to somehow create a list of these
names and their associated replacements, put it on a separate worksheet, and
then run your code?

Is there a way to easily create such a list? If so, how? You also talk
about "entering all the names in a range and do the replace in a loop." What
do you mean by doing the replace in a loop? How do you do that? I'm
assuming your code does the loop?

In the second line of your code,
Cells.Replace What:=Cell.Value & "*", Replacement:=" " & Cell.Value,

where would I enter multiple values? For example, replacing Atlanta* with
Atlanta and Boston* with Boston, etc.?

"NickHK" wrote:

> [...]
> > xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> > Cells.Replace What:="Harbor*", Replacement:="Harbor", LookAt:=xlPart,
> _
> > SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> > Cells.Replace What:="Las Vegas*", Replacement:=" Las Vegas ",
> > LookAt:=xlPart _
> > , SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> > Cells.Replace What:="Sacramento*", Replacement:=" Sacramento",
> LookAt:= _
> > xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> > Cells.Replace What:="Washington*", Replacement:="Washington",
> > LookAt:=xlPart, _
> > SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> > End Sub
> >
> > As I mentioned before, trying to add any more Replace items causes
> the
> > new lines of code to turn red. Is there a way around this apparent limit?

Well, only you can create the list, as you know the find/replace values.
So in a suitable place, in 2 columns (say starting from A1:B1) enter the
data; A column for the Find values, B column for Replace values.
Select all these values in Column A and give the range a name
(Insert>Name>Define), say "rngData".

Then in your code, you can:
For Each Cell In Worksheet("NotThisSheet").Range("rngData")
Cells.Replace What:=Cell.Value, Replacement:=Cell.Offset(0,1).Value, _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
Next

Note that "Cell" will work its way down your list of Find values, replacing
it (say "*Atlanta*"), with the value in its row of the Replace values (say
"Atlanta").
Also, "Cells" refers to all the cells in the activesheet. You could use
ActiveSheet.UsedRange instead.

> [...]
> > > xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> > > Cells.Replace What:="Harbor*", Replacement:="Harbor",
LookAt:=xlPart,
> > _
> > > SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> > > Cells.Replace What:="Las Vegas*", Replacement:=" Las Vegas ",
> > > LookAt:=xlPart _
> > > , SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> > > Cells.Replace What:="Sacramento*", Replacement:=" Sacramento",
> > LookAt:= _
> > > xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> > > Cells.Replace What:="Washington*", Replacement:="Washington",
> > > LookAt:=xlPart, _
> > > SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > As I mentioned before, trying to add any more Replace items
causes
> > the
> > > new lines of code to turn red. Is there a way around this apparent

RS

I tried what you said, but how do I invoke this? When I go to Macros, I
donâ??t see this. Also, I added the code to a particular sheet, should it be
somewhere else? Here is my code:
Dim Cell As Range

For Each Cell In Worksheet("Codes").Range("rngData")
Cells.Replace What:=Cell.Value, Replacement:=Cell.Offset(0, 1).Value, _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
Next

The data to be replaced is on a separate worksheet. Do I need to add some
code before the Dim Cell As Range line? You also said â??â?¦ "Cells" refers to
all the cells in the activesheet. You could use ActiveSheet.UsedRange
instead.â? Whatâ??s the difference? Donâ??t they both mean the same thing
because they both say ActiveSheet at the beginning? Would I put
ActiveSheet.UsedRange right where Cells appears in the 2nd lind of code, as
such:
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Replace What:=Cell.Value, Replacement:=Cell.Offset(0,
1).Value, _

Thanks for your help.

"NickHK" wrote:

> [...]
> > assuming your code does the loop?
> >
> > In the second line of your code,
> > Cells.Replace What:=Cell.Value & "*", Replacement:=" " & Cell.Value,
> >
> > where would I enter multiple values? For example, replacing Atlanta* with
> > Atlanta and Boston* with Boston, etc.?
> >
> > "NickHK" wrote:
> >
> > > Nothing wrong with the code as such.
> > > No reason why there is a limit, as they are each a separate statement.
> > >
> > > But you may find it easier entering all the names in a range and do the
> > > replace in a loop.
> > > Make sure the names are not the same worksheet (or they will get
> replaced
> > > also), or limit your replacement to a range instead Cells.
> > >
> > > Dim Cell As Range
> > >
> > > For Each Cell In Worksheet("NotThisSheet").Range("A1:A20")
> > > Cells.Replace What:=Cell.Value & "*", Replacement:=" " & Cell.Value,

NickHK

Check the help for Usedrange, Cells, etc.

Place a button on the worksheet containing the data to be fixed.
Double-click it. Enter this code in the signature provided.
Run.

And Yes, to the last part.