microsoft.public.excel.programming

Extracting data from web page with an imbedded DB query

jcalver

12/14/2006 8:49:00 AM

Hello,

I hope I can explain this so everyone can understand. There is a
website that lists Japanese residential real estate data
(www.chintai.net), that I was previously able to use Excel's web
query function to go to all the pages, and download the data I wanted.

However, the site has recently been updated, and I believe is now using
Ajax. I suspect this from the URL in the DB query to get the data.
Unfortunately, my Excel query is no longer able to extract the data
from the site. The html of the page only contains the query to
retrieve the data, so Excel does not see the query results.

Is there a way to get Excel to look at the final page and then extract
data from that version? I believe that Excel only looks at the HTML,
and with this new version of the site the HTML only contains the query,
not the actual data itself. So there is nothing in the HTML version of
the page for Excel to extract.

The site is in Japanese, but I have included a link to the first page
of a sample query on their DB. I want to get the table of data that
appears after a few seconds into Excel.

http://www.chintai.net/tokyo/chintai/CGI/area_list.cgi?sc=1030&ss=00000080000E0000000000000000000001000023&st=0...

I hope that I can get Excel to properly extract this data.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks in advance.

James