microsoft.public.excel.programming

Number stored as text error message

prahz

12/13/2006 8:17:00 PM

I have created a macro in vba to input a "string of numbers" into a
cell.
-Some of the numbers in the string have leading zeros so I have
formatted the cell type as "text."
-Excel gives me this green tick mark at the top right corner of the
cell showing a Number Stored as Text error.
-How do I suppress the green tick mark from not ever coming up?

Does anybody know how to do this?

10 Answers

Gary Keramidas

tools/options and on the error checking tab uncheck number stored as text

--

Gary

"prahz" <pthomlison@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have created a macro in vba to input a "string of numbers" into a
> cell.
> -Some of the numbers in the string have leading zeros so I have
> formatted the cell type as "text."
> -Excel gives me this green tick mark at the top right corner of the
> cell showing a Number Stored as Text error.
> -How do I suppress the green tick mark from not ever coming up?
>
> Does anybody know how to do this?

Charles Chickering

Here's a possibility:
Application.ErrorCheckingOptions.NumberAsText = False
--
Charles Chickering

"A good example is twice the value of good advice."

"prahz" wrote:

> I have created a macro in vba to input a "string of numbers" into a
> cell.
> -Some of the numbers in the string have leading zeros so I have
> formatted the cell type as "text."
> -Excel gives me this green tick mark at the top right corner of the
> cell showing a Number Stored as Text error.
> -How do I suppress the green tick mark from not ever coming up?
>
> Does anybody know how to do this?

prahz

Sorry, I should have been more clear...

Is there any vba code I could use in my macro to suppress that green
tick mark no matter who is using the file?

Gary Keramidas wrote:
> tools/options and on the error checking tab uncheck number stored as text
>
> --
>

> Gary
>

> "prahz" <pthomlison@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have created a macro in vba to input a "string of numbers" into a
> > cell.
> > -Some of the numbers in the string have leading zeros so I have
> > formatted the cell type as "text."
> > -Excel gives me this green tick mark at the top right corner of the
> > cell showing a Number Stored as Text error.
> > -How do I suppress the green tick mark from not ever coming up?
> >
> > Does anybody know how to do this?

Gary Keramidas

then use Charles's suggestion

--

> Sorry, I should have been more clear...
>
> Is there any vba code I could use in my macro to suppress that green
> tick mark no matter who is using the file?
>
> Gary Keramidas wrote:
>> tools/options and on the error checking tab uncheck number stored as text
>>
>> --
>>

>> Gary
>>

>> "prahz" <pthomlison@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have created a macro in vba to input a "string of numbers" into a
>> > cell.
>> > -Some of the numbers in the string have leading zeros so I have
>> > formatted the cell type as "text."
>> > -Excel gives me this green tick mark at the top right corner of the
>> > cell showing a Number Stored as Text error.
>> > -How do I suppress the green tick mark from not ever coming up?
>> >
>> > Does anybody know how to do this?

prahz

Huh?

Who is Charles and what was his suggestion?

Gary Keramidas wrote:
> then use Charles's suggestion
>
> --
>

> Gary
>

> "prahz" <pthomlison@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry, I should have been more clear...
> >
> > Is there any vba code I could use in my macro to suppress that green
> > tick mark no matter who is using the file?
> >
> > Gary Keramidas wrote:
> >> tools/options and on the error checking tab uncheck number stored as text
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> Gary
> >>

> >> "prahz" <pthomlison@gmail.com> wrote in message

Die_Another_Day

That would be me. For some dumb reason when I post from Microsoft's
newsgroups the post's don't always show up in Google groups. My
suggestion was this:

"prahz" wrote:

> I have created a macro in vba to input a "string of numbers" into a
> cell.
> -Some of the numbers in the string have leading zeros so I have
> formatted the cell type as "text."
> -Excel gives me this green tick mark at the top right corner of the
> cell showing a Number Stored as Text error.
> -How do I suppress the green tick mark from not ever coming up?
>
> Does anybody know how to do this?

Charles

prahz wrote:
> Huh?
>
> Who is Charles and what was his suggestion?
>

> Gary Keramidas wrote:
> > then use Charles's suggestion
> >
> > --
> >

> > Gary
> >

> > "prahz" <pthomlison@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Sorry, I should have been more clear...
> > >
> > > Is there any vba code I could use in my macro to suppress that green
> > > tick mark no matter who is using the file?

NickHK

Range("A1").Errors(xlNumberAsText).Ignore = True

NickHK

"prahz" <pthomlison@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have created a macro in vba to input a "string of numbers" into a
> cell.
> -Some of the numbers in the string have leading zeros so I have
> formatted the cell type as "text."
> -Excel gives me this green tick mark at the top right corner of the
> cell showing a Number Stored as Text error.
> -How do I suppress the green tick mark from not ever coming up?
>
> Does anybody know how to do this?

prahz

Thank you that worked.

I put it in the Sub Auto_Open() Function of my workbook.

Die_Another_Day wrote:
> That would be me. For some dumb reason when I post from Microsoft's
> newsgroups the post's don't always show up in Google groups. My
> suggestion was this:
> Here's a possibility:
> Application.ErrorCheckingOptions.NumberAsText = False
> --
> Charles Chickering
>
> "A good example is twice the value of good advice."
>

> "prahz" wrote:
>
> > I have created a macro in vba to input a "string of numbers" into a
> > cell.
> > -Some of the numbers in the string have leading zeros so I have
> > formatted the cell type as "text."
> > -Excel gives me this green tick mark at the top right corner of the
> > cell showing a Number Stored as Text error.
> > -How do I suppress the green tick mark from not ever coming up?
> >
> > Does anybody know how to do this?
> >

> Charles
>
> prahz wrote:
> > Huh?
> >
> > Who is Charles and what was his suggestion?
> >

> > Gary Keramidas wrote:
> > > then use Charles's suggestion
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > > Gary
> > >

> > > "prahz" <pthomlison@gmail.com> wrote in message

prahz

Thank you that worked.

I put it in Sub Auto_Open() and it turned it off on startup

Die_Another_Day wrote:
> That would be me. For some dumb reason when I post from Microsoft's
> newsgroups the post's don't always show up in Google groups. My
> suggestion was this:
> Here's a possibility:
> Application.ErrorCheckingOptions.NumberAsText = False
> --
> Charles Chickering
>
> "A good example is twice the value of good advice."
>

> "prahz" wrote:
>
> > I have created a macro in vba to input a "string of numbers" into a
> > cell.
> > -Some of the numbers in the string have leading zeros so I have
> > formatted the cell type as "text."
> > -Excel gives me this green tick mark at the top right corner of the
> > cell showing a Number Stored as Text error.
> > -How do I suppress the green tick mark from not ever coming up?
> >
> > Does anybody know how to do this?
> >

> Charles
>
> prahz wrote:
> > Huh?
> >
> > Who is Charles and what was his suggestion?
> >

> > Gary Keramidas wrote:
> > > then use Charles's suggestion
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > > Gary
> > >

> > > "prahz" <pthomlison@gmail.com> wrote in message

Gord Dibben

This is Application code and will affect all workbooks.

Why don't you just go into Tools>Options>Error Checking and uncheck it there?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP