comp.lang.python

Re: compiler with python

Steven Howe

3/6/2010 9:13:00 PM

Is it possible he's talking about a 'quad core'? as in a CPU? In that
case I think he wants
to optimize a python program for a multiprocessor core with four processors.

sph

On 03/06/2010 07:56 AM, Dave Angel wrote:
> mohamed issolah wrote:

>>> You need to tell us what you're really trying to do, what tools you're
>>> willing to use, and probably why you want it. And if you're not
>>> sure about
>>> your English, keep the sentence structure straightforward.
>>>
>>> Let me make a couple of wild guesses:
>>>

>>> You want to design and build a compiler that takes xml information
>>> as its
>>> source code, and compiles those xml files into Intel x86 machine
>>> code. The
>>> compiler and the resulting executable needs to run on an x86 Linux
>>> machine.
>>> Your previous experience was in doing this sort of thing in C, but
>>> you want
>>> to try it with Python instead. You want to do it without using the
>>> lxml
>>> libraries.
>>>
>>> You want to build a python compiler, that takes python source code and
>>> produces Java byte code files. You'd like to do this in C, but
>>> don't want
>>> to use any of the available existing CPython or Jython source code.
>>> Your
>>> goal is not to make a commercially viable product, but to learn as
>>> much as
>>> possible in the process.
>>>

>>> DaveA
>>>

>> hey,
>>
>> I want to create a compiler which transform a code like pascal code
>> (that
>> what I do in C) to "quad"
>> In C, I use BISON and FLEX tools.
>>

> I've forwarded your message to the list, and fixed your top-posting by
> moving your response to the bottom. I don't have a clue what "quad"
> is, unless it's a synonym for Forth.
>
> You haven't specified the OS you'll be using to run the compiler, nor
> the one you're targeting, so some of these choices may not be useful.
> For example, the first one is Linux only.
>
> http://www.freenet.org.nz/pytho...
> PyBison - Python binding for Bison/Flex
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects...
> http://www.slash-me.net/dev/snippets/yeanpypa/document...
>
> http://www.python.org/community/sigs/retired/parser-sig/towards...
>
> Or you could go here, which has links to (most of) these and others.
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/Langu...
>
> DaveA
2 Answers

Alf P. Steinbach

Since Mohamed is talking about compilation I think it's more likely he's talking
about an intermediate program represention based on quad tuples like

(OP, DESTINATION, ARG1, ARG2)

Cheers,

- Alf

* Steven Howe:
> Is it possible he's talking about a 'quad core'? as in a CPU? In that
> case I think he wants
> to optimize a python program for a multiprocessor core with four
> processors.
>
> sph
>

> On 03/06/2010 07:56 AM, Dave Angel wrote:
>> mohamed issolah wrote:

>>> hey,
>>>
>>> I want to create a compiler which transform a code like pascal code
>>> (that
>>> what I do in C) to "quad"
>>> In C, I use BISON and FLEX tools.
>>>

>> I've forwarded your message to the list, and fixed your top-posting by
>> moving your response to the bottom. I don't have a clue what "quad"
>> is, unless it's a synonym for Forth.
>>
>> You haven't specified the OS you'll be using to run the compiler, nor
>> the one you're targeting, so some of these choices may not be useful.
>> For example, the first one is Linux only.
>>
>> http://www.freenet.org.nz/pytho...
>> PyBison - Python binding for Bison/Flex
>>
>> http://freshmeat.net/projects...
>> http://www.slash-me.net/dev/snippets/yeanpypa/document...
>>
>> http://www.python.org/community/sigs/retired/parser-sig/towards...
>>
>> Or you could go here, which has links to (most of) these and others.
>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/Langu...
>>
>> DaveA

Mark Lawrence

Alf and Steven Howe, please don't top post, it makes it all but
impossible to follow a thread. Darn!:)

Mark Lawrence.