comp.lang.python

DOS Follies (Was: Docstrings...

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

3/3/2010 9:37:00 PM

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:44:08 +0100
mk <mrkafk@gmail.com> wrote:
> It reminds me of why Windows uses backslashes for path separation
> instead of slashes: what I've *heard*, and do not know if it's true,
> it's because Gates fancied using / for options switch instead of -, and
> to hell with established practice.

That was because CP/M used slashes for options and DOS copied that. By
the time hierarchy was added it was too late to change.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net> | Democracy is three wolves
http://www.druid.... | and a sheep voting on

falk

In article <mailman.248.1267652136.23598.python-list@python.org>,
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net> wrote:
>On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:44:08 +0100
>mk <mrkafk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It reminds me of why Windows uses backslashes for path separation
>> instead of slashes: what I've *heard*, and do not know if it's true,
>> it's because Gates fancied using / for options switch instead of -, and
>> to hell with established practice.
>
>That was because CP/M used slashes for options and DOS copied that. By
>the time hierarchy was added it was too late to change.

And CP/M got it from the various PDP-11 operating systems. I *think*
that Tops-10 had it as well. In fact, I think using / to delimit
commandline options goes back to the PDP-8.

--
-Ed Falk, falk@despams.r.us.com
http://thespamdiaries.blo...