comp.lang.python

Re: Docstrings considered too complicated

mk

3/3/2010 7:44:00 PM

Ed Keith wrote:
> --- On Wed, 3/3/10, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>
>> They needed a way to tell where the end of the information
>> was. Why
>> they used ^Z (SUB - Substitute) instead of ^C (ETX - End of
>> TeXt) or
>> even ^D (EOT - End Of Transmission) is anyone's guess.
>
> That has always puzzled me to. ETX and EOT were well established, why no use one of them? I'd love to know what they were thinking.

Probably nothing: what many people do with confronted with a problem.

It reminds me of why Windows uses backslashes for path separation
instead of slashes: what I've *heard*, and do not know if it's true,
it's because Gates fancied using / for options switch instead of -, and
to hell with established practice.

Regards,
mk

2 Answers

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

On 2010-03-03, mk <mrkafk@gmail.com> wrote:

>> That has always puzzled me to. ETX and EOT were well established, why
>> no use one of them? I'd love to know what they were thinking.
>
> Probably nothing: what many people do with confronted with a problem.
>
> It reminds me of why Windows uses backslashes for path separation
> instead of slashes: what I've *heard*, and do not know if it's true,
> it's because Gates fancied using / for options switch instead of -,
> and to hell with established practice.

Using / for the option switch _was_ the established practice (if you
came from a DEC background the way that CP/M and DOS did).

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Boy, am I glad it's
at only 1971...

David Robinow

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Grant Edwards <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-03-03, mk <mrkafk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> That has always puzzled me to. ETX and EOT were well established, why
>>> no use one of them? I'd love to know what they were thinking.
>>
>> Probably nothing: what many people do with confronted with a problem.
>>
>> It reminds me of why Windows uses backslashes for path separation
>> instead of slashes: what I've *heard*, and do not know if it's true,
>> it's because Gates fancied using / for options switch instead of -,
>> and to hell with established practice.
>
> Using / for the option switch _was_ the established practice (if you
> came from a DEC background the way that CP/M and DOS did).
Quite true. And the early DEC systems predated Unix (although not by much)