microsoft.public.excel.programming

Re: vlookup function that returns blank if error

Bob Phillips

12/12/2006 9:41:00 PM

=IF(ISNA(vlookup_formula),"",vlookup_formula)

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> The normal vlookup function returns a NA if the table_array doesn't
> contain
> the lookup_value.
>
> Can you help me write a new function that returns a blank or "" instead?
>

> --
> Richard

2 Answers

Richard

Right. I have been frequently using your if statement in my worksheets.
However, it is a long statement and I often have to retype/proof to get it
correct.

I was looking for a function that I could define in a macro.
Combining the application.worksheetfunction format with ISNA and Vlookup
commands in a macro was giving me problems.

--
Richard

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> =IF(ISNA(vlookup_formula),"",vlookup_formula)
>
> --
> ---
> HTH
>
> Bob
>
> (change the xxxx to gmail if mailing direct)
>

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > The normal vlookup function returns a NA if the table_array doesn't
> > contain
> > the lookup_value.
> >
> > Can you help me write a new function that returns a blank or "" instead?
> >

> > --
> > Richard

Bob Phillips

I wouldn't do that, I would put the Vlookup formula in a helper cell, and
then test that helper cell for #N/A

--
---