microsoft.public.excel.programming

Where the objects are stored on the hard drive

Zigball

12/11/2006 2:53:00 PM

Does anyone know where objects such as in the toolbox of vba is stored
I have some objects with an extension of .ocx, .cnt, .dep....? I want
to know where to dump them on my hard drive? I would appreciate any one
helping me!

2 Answers

NickHK

If they are ActiveX (so registration is required), location is somewhat
irrelevant as the Registry controls access. It then becomes a question of
preference/convention, although <%Windows%>\System32\ is popular.
..cnt are associated with help file AFAIK, so either in your
<%Windows%>\Help\ folder or the folder of the app that the Help applies to.
I believe an app searches the PATH variable to find help file.

NickHK

"Zigball" <zigball@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know where objects such as in the toolbox of vba is stored
> I have some objects with an extension of .ocx, .cnt, .dep....? I want
> to know where to dump them on my hard drive? I would appreciate any one
> helping me!

theSquirrel

I just registered an .OCX file the other day...

I put this in the start run bar to register it:
regsvr32 \windows\system32\MSCOMCT2.OCX

the file was called MSCOMCT2.OCX
and I put it in Windows\System32

hope that helps