comp.lang.c

K&R2 Corrections List...

/dev/phaeton

5/31/2011 4:20:00 AM

Hi all.

Like many whom I've read here lately, I'm shaking the rust off and making
another attempt at learning C. This time, I've actually got the
definitive tome to follow along with: K&R2...

However, I seem to remember (from about 8 or 10 years ago) that there was
a list floating around that had a community compiled corrections list to
this book. I.e., "use fgets instead of scanf, because scanf is
vulnerable to buffer overflows" etc.

Does this list exist, or am I delusional? Both?

Thanks.

--
(remove underscores to reply via email)
3 Answers

Joachim Schmitz

/dev/phaeton wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Like many whom I've read here lately, I'm shaking the rust off and
> making another attempt at learning C. This time, I've actually got
> the definitive tome to follow along with: K&R2...
>
> However, I seem to remember (from about 8 or 10 years ago) that there
> was a list floating around that had a community compiled corrections
> list to this book. I.e., "use fgets instead of scanf, because scanf
> is vulnerable to buffer overflows" etc.
>
> Does this list exist, or am I delusional? Both?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=K%26... should pretty quickly lead you to
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/2e...

Bye, Jojo

Keith Thompson

/dev/phaeton <blah_bleh_666@hotmail.com> writes:
> Like many whom I've read here lately, I'm shaking the rust off and making
> another attempt at learning C. This time, I've actually got the
> definitive tome to follow along with: K&R2...
>
> However, I seem to remember (from about 8 or 10 years ago) that there was
> a list floating around that had a community compiled corrections list to
> this book. I.e., "use fgets instead of scanf, because scanf is
> vulnerable to buffer overflows" etc.
>
> Does this list exist, or am I delusional? Both?

The official errata list is at
<http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/2ediff....

A Google search for k&r2 errata turns up several other web pages.
Perhaps the page you're thinking of is somewhere in that search result.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.ne...
Nokia

/dev/phaeton

On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:52:09 -0700, Keith Thompson wrote:

> /dev/phaeton <blah_bleh_666@hotmail.com> writes:
>> Like many whom I've read here lately, I'm shaking the rust off and
>> making another attempt at learning C. This time, I've actually got the
>> definitive tome to follow along with: K&R2...
>>
>> However, I seem to remember (from about 8 or 10 years ago) that there
>> was a list floating around that had a community compiled corrections
>> list to this book. I.e., "use fgets instead of scanf, because scanf is
>> vulnerable to buffer overflows" etc.
>>
>> Does this list exist, or am I delusional? Both?
>
> The official errata list is at
> <http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/2ediff....
>
> A Google search for k&r2 errata turns up several other web pages.
> Perhaps the page you're thinking of is somewhere in that search result.

Thanks Joachim and Keith. That list is useful also, but not the one I
was looking for. In the meantime I will keep my eye out for it. If it
was here in this ng that I saw it I'm sure a reference to it will pop up
eventually.

Thanks!

-J

--