comp.lang.c

Re: I need help

janus

5/15/2011 11:54:00 AM

Wolf,

I guess you meant strncpy() function in the above

Janus
1 Answer

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

"janus" <emekamicro@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Wolf,
>
> I guess you meant strncpy() function in the above
>
> Janus

No! I meant strcpy, since it it used on guaranteed enough size. Be very
carefull with strncpy! It does not terminate the destination string with a
'\0' character if the source string is longer than the length parameter n.
The following code might give a segment violation!

char FiveChars[6],
*TenChars = "Ten chars ";
strncpy(FiveChars, TenChars, sizeof(FiveChars) - 1);
puts(FiveChars);

strncat guarantees to write a terminating '\0' character.
*FiveChars = 0;
strncat(FiveChars, TenChars, sizeof(FiveChars) - 1);