BillyJ

6/14/2016 4:35:00 AM

In the IDE debugging (running the app) and something happens that locks
the IDE, the app and a messagebox presumably an error message.
All locked such that nothing allows me to get to the messagebox to
unstick it all. messagebox is behind the IDE. The app is behind the
messagebox.
On very few occasions I can Alt-Tab and Enter quickly enough to get the
messagbox button clicked; usually not.
Alt-Tab is useless. Ctrl-C does nothing. Cannot even close the IDE.
IDE will not move either.
I have to use Process Explorer to kill the IDE.

Is there some app that will allow cycling through all the windows to
allow access to the message box? Alt-Tab will not leave the messagebox up.
Or maybe move a hidden messagebox or ???

Arne Saknussemm

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 21:34:36 -0700
"BillyJ" wrote in microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
<njo1gp$1m9$1@adenine.netfront.net>:

> Is there some app that will allow cycling through all the windows to
> allow access to the message box? Alt-Tab will not leave the
> messagebox up. Or maybe move a hidden messagebox or ???

try this

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/s...

if it doesn't work "as is", try checking the "include invisibles"
option, then select the appropriate right-click option (e.g. "on top"
and/or others)

john

In article <njo1gp$1m9$1@adenine.netfront.net>, BJ@NOSPAMXYZ.COM (BillyJ) wrote:

> *From:* BillyJ <BJ@NOSPAMXYZ.COM>
> *Date:* Mon, 13 Jun 2016 21:34:36 -0700
>
> In the IDE debugging (running the app) and something happens that
> locks the IDE, the app and a messagebox presumably an error message.
> All locked such that nothing allows me to get to the messagebox to
> unstick it all. messagebox is behind the IDE. The app is behind
> the messagebox.
> On very few occasions I can Alt-Tab and Enter quickly enough to get
> the messagbox button clicked; usually not.
> Alt-Tab is useless. Ctrl-C does nothing. Cannot even close the
> IDE.
> IDE will not move either.
> I have to use Process Explorer to kill the IDE.
>
> Is there some app that will allow cycling through all the windows
> to allow access to the message box? Alt-Tab will not leave the
> messagebox up.
> Or maybe move a hidden messagebox or ???

Try <CTRL><BREAK> (or <CTRL><PAUSE>, depending on your keyboard). That usually
works for me.

--
Regards
John (john@jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk) Remove the obvious to reply...

mm

"BillyJ" <BJ@NOSPAMXYZ.COM> escribió en el mensaje
> In the IDE debugging (running the app) and something happens that locks
> the IDE, the app and a messagebox presumably an error message.
> All locked such that nothing allows me to get to the messagebox to unstick
> it all. messagebox is behind the IDE. The app is behind the messagebox.
> On very few occasions I can Alt-Tab and Enter quickly enough to get the
> messagbox button clicked; usually not.
> Alt-Tab is useless. Ctrl-C does nothing. Cannot even close the IDE.
> IDE will not move either.
> I have to use Process Explorer to kill the IDE.
>
> Is there some app that will allow cycling through all the windows to allow
> access to the message box? Alt-Tab will not leave the messagebox up.
> Or maybe move a hidden messagebox or ???
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---

Are you using subclassing? and messages like WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING?

Deanna Earley

On 14/06/2016 05:34, BillyJ wrote:
> In the IDE debugging (running the app) and something happens that locks
> the IDE, the app and a messagebox presumably an error message.
> All locked such that nothing allows me to get to the messagebox to
> unstick it all. messagebox is behind the IDE. The app is behind the
> messagebox.

I've seen that a few times and just hitting Enter clears it.
This is while it accepts no mouse input.

--
Deanna Earley (dee@earlsoft.co.uk, dee@doesnotcompute.co.uk)

(Replies direct to my email address will be printed, shredded then fed
to the dragons. Please reply to the group.)

bj

Eduardo wrote:>
> Are you using subclassing? and messages like WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING?

Using a shaky subclassing in user control.
Asm sets it up and a routine WindowProc has the local interfaces for
mouse actions and passes stuff on.

Probably there is a better and cleaner way to go but this is what I was
given to work with. If not too much work I could change this to ... what?

mm

"BillyJ" <BJ@NoSpam.com> escribió en el mensaje
> Eduardo wrote:>
>> Are you using subclassing? and messages like WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING?
>>

> Using a shaky subclassing in user control.
> Asm sets it up and a routine WindowProc has the local interfaces for mouse
> actions and passes stuff on.
>
> Probably there is a better and cleaner way to go but this is what I was
> given to work with. If not too much work I could change this to ... what?

Disable the subclassing and check whether the problem is still there or not.

About other subclassing method... it's difficult to recommend. I guess that
all have pros and cons.
I use a modified version of vbAccelerator subclassing, that is considered
"old".

If you need only mouse actions you could use MouseMove, MouseDown, Etc. VB
events.

But if you need to track the mouse wheel, then you need subclassing.

BillyJ

> But if you need to track the mouse wheel, then you need subclassing.

Yes, need mousewheel as it is used to scroll the virtual control.