comp.lang.c

/usr/bin/CC

China Blue Veins

4/1/2011 1:34:00 PM

Is /usr/bin/CC documented somewhere?

--
Damn the living - It's a lovely life. I'm whoever you want me to be.
Silver silverware - Where is the love? At least I can stay in character.
Oval swimming pool - Where is the love? Annoying Usenet one post at a time.
Damn the living - It's a lovely life. Alameda County Sheriff.
54 Answers

Tom Stiller

In article
<chine.bleu-10647A.06335501042011@news.eternal-september.org>,
China Blue Meanies <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is /usr/bin/CC documented somewhere?

I don't know what "CC" is but "cc" is. depending on what you have
installed, the "C" compiler.

Try 'man cc'.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

China Blue Veins

In article <tom_stiller-FF8674.10404001042011@news.individual.net>,
Tom Stiller <tom_stiller@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article
> <chine.bleu-10647A.06335501042011@news.eternal-september.org>,
> China Blue Meanies <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Is /usr/bin/CC documented somewhere?
>
> I don't know what "CC" is but "cc" is. depending on what you have
> installed, the "C" compiler.
>
> Try 'man cc'.

I since found it was a link to gcc. I've trying to understand a makefile that is
being deliberately obtuse.

--
Damn the living - It's a lovely life. I'm whoever you want me to be.
Silver silverware - Where is the love? At least I can stay in character.
Oval swimming pool - Where is the love? Annoying Usenet one post at a time.
Damn the living - It's a lovely life. Alameda County Sheriff.

Tim Prince

On 4/1/2011 7:47 AM, China Blue Meanies wrote:
> In article<tom_stiller-FF8674.10404001042011@news.individual.net>,
> Tom Stiller<tom_stiller@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> In article
>> <chine.bleu-10647A.06335501042011@news.eternal-september.org>,
>> China Blue Meanies<chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is /usr/bin/CC documented somewhere?
>>
>> I don't know what "CC" is but "cc" is. depending on what you have
>> installed, the "C" compiler.
>>
>> Try 'man cc'.
>
> I since found it was a link to gcc. I've trying to understand a makefile that is
> being deliberately obtuse.

One might expect a link to a C++ compiler. /usr/bin/cc -> gcc is a
widespread setup, but no similar thing for C++ is common.

--
Tim Prince

Keith Thompson

China Blue Meanies <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> writes:
> Is /usr/bin/CC documented somewhere?

I've seen "CC" used as the name of a C++ compiler (assuming that "CC"
and "cc" are distinct file names on your system).

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.ne...
Nokia

Michael Vilain

In article <timstreater-5F6C9D.16362401042011@news.individual.net>,
Tim Streater <timstreater@waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article
> <chine.bleu-B2B778.07473801042011@news.eternal-september.org>,
> China Blue Meanies <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <tom_stiller-FF8674.10404001042011@news.individual.net>,
> > Tom Stiller <tom_stiller@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article
> > > <chine.bleu-10647A.06335501042011@news.eternal-september.org>,

> > > I don't know what "CC" is but "cc" is. depending on what you have
> > > installed, the "C" compiler.
> > >
> > > Try 'man cc'.
> >
> > I since found it was a link to gcc. I've trying to understand a makefile
> > that
> > is being deliberately obtuse.
>
> Do you actually need to do that? I've avoided all that rubbish by using
> xcode.

Up until Xcode 4, the compiler supplied was gcc. When the license
changed to GPLv3 which seriously restricted Apple and other commercial
companies from distributing GPLv3 software, Apple changed to their own
compiler. That's why Xcode 4 costs $4.99 from the App Store rather than
being a free download. It's still "free" if you're a $99/year
developer. I'm not, so I still have to pay.

A client who writes iOS games said he lost a week's productivity
converting from Xcode 3 to Xcode 4 and only few things were really worth
it to him. But if he was to run and debug on iOS 4.3, it was required.

I'm sticking with Xcode 3 and the gcc that comes with it.

And no, Tim, a base install of MacOS doesn't have the developer tools.
AFAIK, there's no longer a binary verision of gcc you can install.

Tom Harrington

In article <timstreater-5F6C9D.16362401042011@news.individual.net>,
Tim Streater <timstreater@waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article
> <chine.bleu-B2B778.07473801042011@news.eternal-september.org>,
> China Blue Meanies <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <tom_stiller-FF8674.10404001042011@news.individual.net>,
> > Tom Stiller <tom_stiller@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article
> > > <chine.bleu-10647A.06335501042011@news.eternal-september.org>,

> > > I don't know what "CC" is but "cc" is. depending on what you have
> > > installed, the "C" compiler.
> > >
> > > Try 'man cc'.
> >
> > I since found it was a link to gcc. I've trying to understand a makefile
> > that
> > is being deliberately obtuse.
>
> Do you actually need to do that? I've avoided all that rubbish by using
> xcode.

If you're getting open source code from somewhere, and it has a
Makefile, it's usually easier to just use that file. They don't always
work, of course.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002

China Blue Veins

In article <timstreater-5F6C9D.16362401042011@news.individual.net>,
Tim Streater <timstreater@waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article
> <chine.bleu-B2B778.07473801042011@news.eternal-september.org>,
> China Blue Meanies <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <tom_stiller-FF8674.10404001042011@news.individual.net>,
> > Tom Stiller <tom_stiller@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article
> > > <chine.bleu-10647A.06335501042011@news.eternal-september.org>,

> > > I don't know what "CC" is but "cc" is. depending on what you have
> > > installed, the "C" compiler.
> > >
> > > Try 'man cc'.
> >
> > I since found it was a link to gcc. I've trying to understand a makefile
> > that
> > is being deliberately obtuse.
>
> Do you actually need to do that? I've avoided all that rubbish by using
> xcode.

I have to understand fershlinger makefile before I can do that.

--
Damn the living - It's a lovely life. I'm whoever you want me to be.
Silver silverware - Where is the love? At least I can stay in character.
Oval swimming pool - Where is the love? Annoying Usenet one post at a time.
Damn the living - It's a lovely life. Alameda County Sheriff.

Tim Streater

In article
<chine.bleu-B2B778.07473801042011@news.eternal-september.org>,
China Blue Meanies <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <tom_stiller-FF8674.10404001042011@news.individual.net>,
> Tom Stiller <tom_stiller@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <chine.bleu-10647A.06335501042011@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > China Blue Meanies <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Is /usr/bin/CC documented somewhere?
> >
> > I don't know what "CC" is but "cc" is. depending on what you have
> > installed, the "C" compiler.
> >
> > Try 'man cc'.
>
> I since found it was a link to gcc. I've trying to understand a makefile that
> is being deliberately obtuse.

Do you actually need to do that? I've avoided all that rubbish by using
xcode.

--
Tim

Tom Stiller

In article
<chine.bleu-B2B778.07473801042011@news.eternal-september.org>,
China Blue Meanies <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <tom_stiller-FF8674.10404001042011@news.individual.net>,
> Tom Stiller <tom_stiller@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <chine.bleu-10647A.06335501042011@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > China Blue Meanies <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Is /usr/bin/CC documented somewhere?
> >
> > I don't know what "CC" is but "cc" is. depending on what you have
> > installed, the "C" compiler.
> >
> > Try 'man cc'.
>
> I since found it was a link to gcc. I've trying to understand a
> makefile that is being deliberately obtuse.

Did you try 'man make'?

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

Michelle Steiner

In article <timstreater-DEF63B.19485601042011@news.individual.net>,
Tim Streater <timstreater@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > And no, Tim, a base install of MacOS doesn't have the developer tools.
> > AFAIK, there's no longer a binary verision of gcc you can install.
>
> Umm, so are you saying that if I buy a Mini *today*, with 10.6.x, I
> won't get a disk with Developer tools on it?

No, you'll have it; it will be an optional install, not a base install.
But it most likely will be version 3, not version 4.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as