comp.lang.c

Re: [OT] References header

John Bode

3/22/2011 6:10:00 PM

On Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:34:00 AM UTC-5, Noob wrote:
> John Bode wrote: [snip]
>
> My Usenet client fails to thread your posts correctly.
> They seem to be missing the "References" header.
>
> Did GG break this recently?
>
> Regards.

Apologies. I don't own the machine I normally post from, and I don't have admin privileges so I can't install anything (such as "a real news client") on it, so it's GG for me.
5 Answers

Ian Collins

On 03/23/11 07:10 AM, John Bode wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:34:00 AM UTC-5, Noob wrote:
>> John Bode wrote: [snip]
>>
>> My Usenet client fails to thread your posts correctly.
>> They seem to be missing the "References" header.
>>
>> Did GG break this recently?
>>
>> Regards.
>
> Apologies. I don't own the machine I normally post from, and I don't have admin privileges so I can't install anything (such as "a real news client") on it, so it's GG for me.

Not everyone's posts from GG muck up threads, are there two versions?

--
Ian Collins

James Kuyper

On Mar 22, 2:41 pm, Ian Collins <ian-n...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Not everyone's posts from GG muck up threads, are there two versions?

I posted this one by selecting "Reply" on the old version.

James Kuyper

On Mar 22, 2:41 pm, Ian Collins <ian-n...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/23/11 07:10 AM, John Bode wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:34:00 AM UTC-5, Noob wrote:
> >> John Bode wrote: [snip]
>
> >> My Usenet client fails to thread your posts correctly.
> >> They seem to be missing the "References" header.
>
> >> Did GG break this recently?
>
> >> Regards.
>
> > Apologies.  I don't own the machine I normally post from, and I don't have admin privileges so I can't install anything (such as "a real news client") on it, so it's GG for me.
>
> Not everyone's posts from GG muck up threads, are there two versions?

I posted this one by selecting the "Reply" link at the top of the
message, rather than the bottom, in the old version of GG. In the
past, the two different "Reply" links sometimes worked differently.

Keith Thompson

Ian Collins <ian-news@hotmail.com> writes:
> On 03/23/11 07:10 AM, John Bode wrote:
>> On Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:34:00 AM UTC-5, Noob wrote:
>>> John Bode wrote: [snip]
>>>
>>> My Usenet client fails to thread your posts correctly.
>>> They seem to be missing the "References" header.
>>>
>>> Did GG break this recently?
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>
>> Apologies. I don't own the machine I normally post from, and I
>> don't have admin privileges so I can't install anything (such as
>> "a real news client") on it, so it's GG for me.
>
> Not everyone's posts from GG muck up threads, are there two versions?

Yes. Google Groups recently introduced a new interface; the old one
is still supported (and it's still possible to switch back to it).
The new interface makes it easier to post without including quoted
content, and it fails to add "References" header lines.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.ne...
Nokia

John Bode

On Mar 22, 2:09 pm, Keith Thompson <ks...@mib.org> wrote:
> Ian Collins <ian-n...@hotmail.com> writes:

> >> Apologies.  I don't own the machine I normally post from, and I
> >> don't have admin privileges so I can't install anything (such as
> >> "a real news client") on it, so it's GG for me.
>
> > Not everyone's posts from GG muck up threads, are there two versions?
>
> Yes.  Google Groups recently introduced a new interface; the old one
> is still supported (and it's still possible to switch back to it).
> The new interface makes it easier to post without including quoted
> content, and it fails to add "References" header lines.
>
> --
> Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) ks...@mib.org  <http://www.ghoti.ne...
> Nokia
> "We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this."
>     -- Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn, "Yes Minister"- Hide quoted text -

Switched back to the old one. Hopefully I won't muck up threading
anymore.

Jeez, it's not like NNTP's *that* complex a protocol...