comp.lang.python

Re: When will Python go mainstream like Java?

mk

2/23/2010 2:49:00 PM

AON LAZIO wrote:
> That will be superb

Well I for one wouldn't want Python to go exactly Java way, see this:

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/charts/permanent-demand-trend.aspx?s=jav...

This is the percentage of job offers in UK where the keyword "Java" appears.

Same for C#, it looks like C# is eating Java's lunch now:

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/charts/permanent-demand-trend.aspx?s=cshar...

What worries me somewhat (although not much) is that after long period
of solid growth the market can't decide about Python:

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/charts/permanent-demand-trend.aspx?s=pytho...

I learned painfully that in corporate setting merits of a programming
language do not matter much, it's more like "whatever catches the
groupthink" at the moment. "Java is good because big ones select Java",
"static typing is good because compiler catches programmer's errors"
(this one is particularly appealing to managers I found), etc.

Although all my "internal use" tools are written in Python, there's no
way I could convince managers to use Python as the main application
devel language.

This, however, is not of itself a problem: as long as language is lively
and has at least a few percent of programmers using it -- which is
important for existence of libraries, not much more -- there's no
problem for people who want to get ahead of competition / waste less
time by using advanced programming langauges. Frankly, I have yet to
encounter a problem for which either a sizable Python extension or
bindings to a popular library wouldn't exist. This in itself is a
hallmark of a language being "enough of mainstream to actually matter in
practice".

This I find quite insightful: http://www.paulgraham.co...

Regards,
mk

3 Answers

George Sakkis

On Feb 23, 3:49 pm, mk <mrk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well I for one wouldn't want Python to go exactly Java way, see this:
>
> http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/charts/permanent-demand-trend.......
>
> This is the percentage of job offers in UK where the keyword "Java" appears.
>
> Same for C#, it looks like C# is eating Java's lunch now:
>
> http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/charts/permanent-demand-trend.......

This seems to be a UK-specific trend; in the US (and most other
countries I know of) Java is still going strong, e.g.
http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=java%2C+c...

George

mk

On 2010-02-24 03:26, George Sakkis wrote:
>> Well I for one wouldn't want Python to go exactly Java way, see this:
>>
>> http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/charts/permanent-demand-trend.......
>>
>> This is the percentage of job offers in UK where the keyword "Java" appears.
>>
>> Same for C#, it looks like C# is eating Java's lunch now:
>>
>> http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/charts/permanent-demand-trend.......
>
> This seems to be a UK-specific trend; in the US (and most other
> countries I know of) Java is still going strong, e.g.
> http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=java%2C+c...

Interesting, and I was thinking that UK sample was big enough for such
things not to matter.

Regards,
mk

Stefan Behnel

mk, 24.02.2010 18:30:
> On 2010-02-24 03:26, George Sakkis wrote:
>>> Well I for one wouldn't want Python to go exactly Java way, see this:
>>>
>>> http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/charts/permanent-demand-trend.......
>>>
>>> This is the percentage of job offers in UK where the keyword "Java"
>>> appears.
>>>
>>> Same for C#, it looks like C# is eating Java's lunch now:
>>>
>>> http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/charts/permanent-demand-trend.......
>>
>> This seems to be a UK-specific trend; in the US (and most other
>> countries I know of) Java is still going strong, e.g.
>> http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=java%2C+c...
>
> Interesting, and I was thinking that UK sample was big enough for such
> things not to matter.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics ...

Stefan