comp.lang.python

Fascism is coming to Internet

Joan Miller

2/23/2010 10:54:00 AM

*Sorry by this message off topic, but this is too important*

Fascism is coming fastly to Internet because is the only communication
way that governements (managed by the bank and multinationals) cann't
control

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/21/acta-internet-e...
37 Answers

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 02:54:25 -0800 (PST)
Joan Miller <peloko45@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Sorry by this message off topic, but this is too important*

Is it just me or has the spew from gmail on this list radically
increased in the last week? Anyone else considering blocking all gmail
posts to this list?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net> | Democracy is three wolves
http://www.druid.... | and a sheep voting on

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

On 2010-02-23, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 02:54:25 -0800 (PST)
> Joan Miller <peloko45@gmail.com> wrote:
>> *Sorry by this message off topic, but this is too important*
>
> Is it just me or has the spew from gmail on this list radically
> increased in the last week? Anyone else considering blocking all gmail
> posts to this list?

I did that a long time ago for all of the Usenet groups I read
and all but one of the mailing lists I read.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm wearing PAMPERS!!
at

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

On 2010-02-23, Grant Edwards <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-02-23, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 02:54:25 -0800 (PST)
>> Joan Miller <peloko45@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> *Sorry by this message off topic, but this is too important*
>>
>> Is it just me or has the spew from gmail on this list radically
>> increased in the last week? Anyone else considering blocking all gmail
>> posts to this list?
>
> I did that a long time ago for all of the Usenet groups I read
> and all but one of the mailing lists I read.

Wait, I misread the posting. I block everything from
google.groups, not everything from gmail.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I have accepted
at Provolone into my life!

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:31:12 +0000 (UTC)
Grant Edwards <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >> Is it just me or has the spew from gmail on this list radically
> >> increased in the last week? Anyone else considering blocking all gmail
> >> posts to this list?
> >
> > I did that a long time ago for all of the Usenet groups I read
> > and all but one of the mailing lists I read.
>
> Wait, I misread the posting. I block everything from
> google.groups, not everything from gmail.

Yes, I did that a long time ago as well. But now there seems to be
more and more actual spam coming from gmail.com itself. It may just be
a minor blip on the spam graph but I'm keeping my eye on it.

Most mailing lists that I am on are pretty good at filtering spam
before it gets to the list. The only spam I ever see on my NetBSD
lists are the ones that I moderate and I block them before anyone else
sees them. A little more pain for me in return for a lot less pain for
everyone else. I guess that's not possible on a list that is gatewayed
to UseNet like this one is.

Hmm. I wonder if all the spam is coming from the NG side. I'll have
to look at that. One of the reasons that I stopped reading UseNet over
ten years ago was because of the diminishinig S/N ratio. I have always
felt that it was a mistake to gateway this group.

--

On 23 feb, 10:54, Joan Miller <pelok...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Sorry by this message off topic, but this is too important*
>
> Fascism is coming fastly to Internet because is the only communication
> way that governements (managed by the bank and multinationals) cann't
> control
>
> http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/21/acta-internet-e...

This is something that affects to all programmers:

"This calls on all parties to ensure that "third party liability" (the
idea that ISPs, web-hosts, application developers, mobile carriers,
universities, apartment buildings, and other "third parties" to
infringement are sometimes liable for their users' copyright
infringements) is on the books in their countries. It doesn't spell
out what that liability should be, beyond "knowingly and materially
aiding" an infringement"

http://craphound.com/acta_digital_cha...

Olof Bjarnason

2010/2/23 Joan Miller <peloko45@gmail.com>:
> On 23 feb, 10:54, Joan Miller <pelok...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> *Sorry by this message off topic, but this is too important*
>>
>> Fascism is coming fastly to Internet because is the only communication
>> way that governements (managed by the bank and multinationals) cann't
>> control
>>
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/21/acta-internet-e...
>
> This is something that affects to all programmers:
>
> "This calls on all parties to ensure that "third party liability" (the
> idea that ISPs, web-hosts, application developers, mobile carriers,
> universities, apartment buildings, and other "third parties" to
> infringement are sometimes liable for their users' copyright
> infringements) is on the books in their countries. It doesn't spell
> out what that liability should be, beyond "knowingly and materially
> aiding" an infringement"
>
> http://craphound.com/acta_digital_cha...
Joan.

ACTA is a *real* problem that we must fend politically. Here is a blog
post I wrote about the problem with making ISPs liable for what their
users communicate:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Folofb.wordpress.com%2F&sl=sv...
(sorry for the bad quality google translation -- this is an important topic!)

Note the name of the important principle: "Mere conduit".

</politics>

--
http://olofb.wor...

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:30:03 +0100
Olof Bjarnason <olof.bjarnason@gmail.com> wrote:
> Even if this is "Off Topic" (which I think it really isn't in any open
> source / free software-oriented mailing list), I want to agree with
> Joan.

It isn't about the Python programming language so it is off topic. So
what if some members have an interest? We have interest in a lot of
things. We all have interest in the hardware that our programs run on
but questions about hardware are also off topic.

Perhaps you don't quite grasp the point of topical discussion groups.
They are a way of letting individuals decide for themselves what kind
of discussions they want to be involved in. By spamming the group this
way you take away that freedom of choice. It's ironic when it is done
in the name of freedom.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net> | Democracy is three wolves
http://www.druid.... | and a sheep voting on

Daniel Fetchinson

>> > I did that a long time ago for all of the Usenet groups I read
>> > and all but one of the mailing lists I read.
>>
>> Wait, I misread the posting. I block everything from
>> google.groups, not everything from gmail.
>
> Yes, I did that a long time ago as well. But now there seems to be
> more and more actual spam coming from gmail.com itself. It may just be
> a minor blip on the spam graph but I'm keeping my eye on it.
>
> Most mailing lists that I am on are pretty good at filtering spam
> before it gets to the list. The only spam I ever see on my NetBSD
> lists are the ones that I moderate and I block them before anyone else
> sees them. A little more pain for me in return for a lot less pain for
> everyone else. I guess that's not possible on a list that is gatewayed
> to UseNet like this one is.
>
> Hmm. I wonder if all the spam is coming from the NG side. I'll have
> to look at that. One of the reasons that I stopped reading UseNet over
> ten years ago was because of the diminishinig S/N ratio. I have always
> felt that it was a mistake to gateway this group.

And this has to do with python programming in what way?

You, sir, are incredibly funny :)

Just 5 minutes ago you declared in a nearby thread that

> It isn't about the Python programming language so it is off topic. So
> what if some members have an interest? We have interest in a lot of
> things. We all have interest in the hardware that our programs run on
> but questions about hardware are also off topic.
>
> Perhaps you don't quite grasp the point of topical discussion groups.
> They are a way of letting individuals decide for themselves what kind
> of discussions they want to be involved in. By spamming the group this
> way you take away that freedom of choice. It's ironic when it is done
> in the name of freedom.

Touche!

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Psss, psss, put it down! - http://www.cafepress.com...

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 00:06:09 +0100
Daniel Fetchinson <fetchinson@googlemail.com> wrote:
> And this has to do with python programming in what way?

Are you new? Meta discussions about lists are generally considered
on-topic for the list.

> You, sir, are incredibly funny :)

Yes, I am. That however is NOT on topic. :-)

And just to bring this back on topic, I did do a test and found that
splitting my mailbox between Python mailing list messages and Python
newsgroup messages did not indicate that that was a good barometer of
spaminess. There are also quite a few decent posts from gmail.com so
blocking by that domain isn't going to be the problem solver either.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net> | Democracy is three wolves
http://www.druid.... | and a sheep voting on

Ned Deily

In article <20100223182923.4d259d12.darcy@druid.net>,
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net> wrote:
> And just to bring this back on topic, I did do a test and found that
> splitting my mailbox between Python mailing list messages and Python
> newsgroup messages did not indicate that that was a good barometer of
> spaminess. There are also quite a few decent posts from gmail.com so
> blocking by that domain isn't going to be the problem solver either.

Try following the list using gmane (either via NNTP, RSS, or the web).
gmane does a pretty good job of filtering the spam.

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.pyth...

--
Ned Deily,
nad@acm.org