comp.lang.python

Re: When will Python go mainstream like Java?

falk

2/23/2010 12:02:00 AM

You mean it's not?

--
-Ed Falk, falk@despams.r.us.com
http://thespamdiaries.blo...

Krister Svanlund

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:01 AM, Edward A. Falk <falk@mauve.rahul.net> wrote:
> You mean it's not?
>
> --
>        -Ed Falk, falk@despams.r.us.com
>        http://thespamdiaries.blo...

Javas popularity was very much a product of its time. It was something
new and exciting and people got a bit too excited maybe, Python just
does the same thing but better really, therefor it will not become as
popular.

Richard Lamboj

Am Tuesday 23 February 2010 09:07:43 schrieb Krister Svanlund:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:01 AM, Edward A. Falk <falk@mauve.rahul.net>
wrote:
> > You mean it's not?
> >
> > --
> >        -Ed Falk, falk@despams.r.us.com
> >        http://thespamdiaries.blo...
>
> Javas popularity was very much a product of its time. It was something
> new and exciting and people got a bit too excited maybe, Python just
> does the same thing but better really, therefor it will not become as
> popular.

Good morning,

i don't like Java/JSP, the synthax is blown up and the programs are damn slow.
For ecllipse you should buy a cluster. There is C/C++/D, Python, Ruby,
Gambas, TCL, PHP, SmallTalk and some other nice Programming Languages, so i
don't understand why people use Java. "Java is the one an only OOP Language,
the best one" - Yeah and whats with multiple inheritance? I'am in love with
Python ;-)

Kind Regards

hackingKK

On Tuesday 23 February 2010 03:10 PM, Richard Lamboj wrote:
> Am Tuesday 23 February 2010 09:07:43 schrieb Krister Svanlund:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:01 AM, Edward A. Falk<falk@mauve.rahul.net>
>>
> wrote:
>
>>> You mean it's not?
>>>
>>> --
>>> -Ed Falk, falk@despams.r.us.com
>>> http://thespamdiaries.blo...
>>>
>> Javas popularity was very much a product of its time. It was something
>> new and exciting and people got a bit too excited maybe, Python just
>> does the same thing but better really, therefor it will not become as
>> popular.
>>
> Good morning,
>
> i don't like Java/JSP, the synthax is blown up and the programs are damn slow.
> For ecllipse you should buy a cluster. There is C/C++/D, Python, Ruby,
> Gambas, TCL, PHP, SmallTalk and some other nice Programming Languages, so i
> don't understand why people use Java. "Java is the one an only OOP Language,
> the best one" - Yeah and whats with multiple inheritance? I'am in love with
> Python ;-)

There are a few reasons why we don't see python as a "buz word". Java
was well marketed and the time when it came out with libraries like
swing, there was no popularly known alternative.
As a matter of fact I don't really go by popularity with technologies,
specially when it comes to programming languages.
Just show me 2 or 3 big apps or web sites which are scalable and take
multiple requests. show me just 2 instances where heavy number
crunching is done efficiently and I am convinced.
I don't care how many apps are developed using java as long as they
remain heavy and sloooooooow.
google runs on python and so do many other big applications.
marketing is more about exaggeration, which Sun did for Java.
Python was always in the hands of programmers who wanted their work done
and wanted scalable apps.
So the conclusion is that "all that is popular need not be good for
every thing ".

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.

Bruno Desthuilliers

hackingKK a écrit :
(snip)
> I don't care how many apps are developed using java as long as they
> remain heavy and sloooooooow.
> google runs on python

Please get your facts right.

Python is one of the languages used internally at Google, true, but so
is Java.

And google-the-search-engine does not "run on python".