comp.lang.python

Re: Python 3.0 usage?

MRAB

2/18/2010 3:51:00 AM

Philip Semanchuk wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm the author of an extension (posix_ipc) that works under Python 2.4 -
> 2.6. I have a version that works under Python 2.4-2.6 and 3.1 and I
> would like to release it, but it doesn't work under Python 3.0. I could
> hack up Python 3.0-specific workarounds, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
> I'm interested in opinions -- is Python 3.0 seeing use in production
> anywhere, or did most of the Python world move to 3.1 as soon as it was
> released?

Python 3.0 had a relatively short run before it was superseded by Python
3.1 due to certain issues, so, IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it unless
someone especially requests/requires it.
2 Answers

alex23

MRAB <pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> Python 3.0 had a relatively short run before it was superseded by Python
> 3.1 due to certain issues, so, IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it unless
> someone especially requests/requires it.

And even then, I'd just tell them I accept patches :)

Philip Semanchuk

On Feb 18, 2010, at 12:20 AM, alex23 wrote:

> MRAB <pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
>> Python 3.0 had a relatively short run before it was superseded by
>> Python
>> 3.1 due to certain issues, so, IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it unless
>> someone especially requests/requires it.
>
> And even then, I'd just tell them I accept patches :)

Excellent idea. =)

Thanks to all who replied.

Cheers
Philip