comp.lang.python

Updating Packages in 2.5 (win/numpy) and Related Matters

W. eWatson

2/16/2010 12:17:00 PM

I normally use IDLE on Win, but recently needed to go to command prompt
to see all error messages. When I did, I was greeted by a host of
deprecation and Numpy messages before things got running. The program
otherwise functioned OK, after I found the problem I was after. Are
these messages a warning to get to the next update of numpy?

I would guess that updating to a higher update does not mean I need to
remove the old one, correct?

In general for libraries like numpy or scipy, I use win32 updates, but I
see win32-p3 updates too on download pages. Since I may be distributing
this program to p3 machines, will I need to provide the win32-p3 updates
to those users?

5 Answers

Robert Kern

On 2010-02-16 06:16 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
> I normally use IDLE on Win, but recently needed to go to command prompt
> to see all error messages. When I did, I was greeted by a host of
> deprecation and Numpy messages before things got running. The program
> otherwise functioned OK, after I found the problem I was after. Are
> these messages a warning to get to the next update of numpy?
>
> I would guess that updating to a higher update does not mean I need to
> remove the old one, correct?
>
> In general for libraries like numpy or scipy, I use win32 updates, but I
> see win32-p3 updates too on download pages. Since I may be distributing
> this program to p3 machines, will I need to provide the win32-p3 updates
> to those users?

You will definitely want to ask these questions on the numpy-discussion mailing
list. They are numpy-specific. Please copy-and-paste the messages that you get.

http://www.scipy.org/Mai...

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

W. eWatson

On 2/16/2010 7:30 AM, Robert Kern wrote:
> On 2010-02-16 06:16 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
>> I normally use IDLE on Win, but recently needed to go to command prompt
>> to see all error messages. When I did, I was greeted by a host of
>> deprecation and Numpy messages before things got running. The program
>> otherwise functioned OK, after I found the problem I was after. Are
>> these messages a warning to get to the next update of numpy?
>>
>> I would guess that updating to a higher update does not mean I need to
>> remove the old one, correct?
>>
>> In general for libraries like numpy or scipy, I use win32 updates, but I
>> see win32-p3 updates too on download pages. Since I may be distributing
>> this program to p3 machines, will I need to provide the win32-p3 updates
>> to those users?
>
> You will definitely want to ask these questions on the numpy-discussion
> mailing list. They are numpy-specific. Please copy-and-paste the
> messages that you get.
>
> http://www.scipy.org/Mai...

Good idea, for the first part of this. I would think "In genera for ..."
would be answerable here, but I'll give them both a shot.

I'll post what I find here, as a follow up.

Robert Kern

On 2010-02-16 09:37 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
> On 2/16/2010 7:30 AM, Robert Kern wrote:
>> On 2010-02-16 06:16 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
>>> I normally use IDLE on Win, but recently needed to go to command prompt
>>> to see all error messages. When I did, I was greeted by a host of
>>> deprecation and Numpy messages before things got running. The program
>>> otherwise functioned OK, after I found the problem I was after. Are
>>> these messages a warning to get to the next update of numpy?
>>>
>>> I would guess that updating to a higher update does not mean I need to
>>> remove the old one, correct?
>>>
>>> In general for libraries like numpy or scipy, I use win32 updates, but I
>>> see win32-p3 updates too on download pages. Since I may be distributing
>>> this program to p3 machines, will I need to provide the win32-p3 updates
>>> to those users?
>>
>> You will definitely want to ask these questions on the numpy-discussion
>> mailing list. They are numpy-specific. Please copy-and-paste the
>> messages that you get.
>>
>> http://www.scipy.org/Mai...
>>
> Good idea, for the first part of this. I would think "In genera for ..."
> would be answerable here, but I'll give them both a shot.

Both parts are very numpy/scipy-specific, trust me. The reason that numpy has
binary releases for Pentium 3 machines is because we have SSE code of various
levels due to our accelerated BLAS libraries. This is very rare outside of numpy
and scipy.

And please provide the information that I asked for over in numpy-discussion.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

W. eWatson

> On 17 February 2010 07:25, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> > DeprecationWarnings mean some some functionality in numpy (or scipy)
> > has changed and the old way of doing things will be removed and be
> > invalid in the next version.
> >
> > During depreciation the old code still works, but before you upgrade
> > you might want to check whether and how much you use these functions
> > and switch to the new behavior.
> >
> > In the case of numpy.test, it means that if you have tests written
> > that use the numpy testing module, then you need to switch them to the
> > new nose based numpy.testing. And you need to install nose for running
> > numpy.test()
Wayne - The DeprecationWarnings are being raised by SciPy, not by your
code. You probably don't have a recent version of SciPy installed. The
most recent release of SciPy is 0.7.1 and works with NumPy 1.3.0. I
don't think you will see the warnings if you upgrade SciPy and NumPy
on your system.

Check your NumPy and SciPy versions at a python prompt as follows:

You will need to completely remove the old versions if you choose to
upgrade. You should be able to do this from "Add/Remove Programs".

Cheers,
Scott