comp.lang.python

Re: working with laptop battery

Tim Chase

2/14/2010 2:23:00 AM

Daniel Dalton wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 05:26:02PM -0800, Chris Rebert wrote:
>> It's probably gonna depend on which OS you're running. Which would be...?
>
> Sorry, forgot to mention this. I'm running debian linux.

You should be able to read/poll the various files in

/proc/acpi/battery/BAT*/*

for whatever battery information you need. Each BAT* directory
contains information about one of the batteries in the system
(it's possible, albeit rare, to have more than one). So you
might have some script that runs every $INTERVAL that looks
something like

from glob import glob
for fname in glob('/proc/acpi/battery/BAT*/*'):
f = file(fname)
for line in f:
do_something(line)
f.close()

On my Debian laptop (Gateway Solo 1200, OEM battery circa 2001),
the contents look something like

tim@rubbish:/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0$ cat alarm
alarm: unsupported
tim@rubbish:/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0$ cat info