comp.lang.c

Re: Can not read VCD file in Linux

js

2/9/2011 10:33:00 AM

In article <c98f7d6a-018c-42da-90ef-0863059cd62f@k17g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
rlp1938 <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
>In Windows I can copy VCD from the CD files but in Linux the copy
>fails so I wrote a C program to try to copy from the VCD myself.
>
>Running the program gives this result.
>file read error
>Count 0
>Input/output error
>Count 0
>File desc: 3
>Count 0
>last failure: Input/output error
>
>What is the difference between Windows and Linux (Ubuntu 10.4) that I
>cannot read the file in Linux?

Your program has been written under incorrect assumptions (the sector size is
definitely not 2048 bytes), so it cannot work.

But you cannot simply increase your sector size, as there is a mix of different
sector types with different sector sizes. I suspect that you don't know the
high level structure well enough to know which sectors uses which
type/sectorsize and it is highly improbable that the device driver supports to
switch automagically to use the right SCSI commands in order to read the
specific sector types.

The right way to read such a CD is "readcd". It sends it's own SCSI commands
and for this reason does not depend on missing features in the driver.

I recommend "man readcd" and to use readcd -clone

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)
joerg.schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blo...