Antwort: Re: Power of Interpreted Languages

Robert.Koepferl

11/10/2003 9:19:00 AM

>Sawfish is plenty fast -- faster than Metacity, often, which is written
>in C alone.

>I'd love to see many apps written in Ruby/Gnome2, or at least large
>sections. A word processor with the logic written in Ruby would be easy
>to hack, easy to fix. Same for other apps. In my experience, it's fast
>enough.

>(This is why Emacs is popular, too...)
Ohyea

But, would you implement a game with ruby?

4 Answers

Aria Stewart

> But, would you implement a game with ruby?

MUD, yes, first person shooter? Probably not without coding critical
sections in Objective C.

Ari

Gregory Millam

And lo, Aredridel wrote:

> > But, would you implement a game with ruby?
>
> MUD, yes, first person shooter? Probably not without coding critical
> sections in Objective C.

I see no reason Ruby can't be a good gaming platform for even graphic-intense games. All it really needs is a /well polished/ game to pave the way. Perl has Frozen Bubble. Python has PyDance... etc.

All that is really needed to go beyond that, such as an FPS, is to have a compiled C library with the most intense graphics routines - Blitting, managing (large) images. With Ruby doing the logic and manipulating a compiled game core doing the graphics, I'd probably be willing to pit that against Java (which is interpreted bytecode, after all).

Sean O'Dell

On Monday 10 November 2003 09:28 am, Gregory Millam wrote:

> And lo, Aredridel wrote:
> > > But, would you implement a game with ruby?
> >
> > MUD, yes, first person shooter? Probably not without coding critical
> > sections in Objective C.
>
> I see no reason Ruby can't be a good gaming platform for even
> graphic-intense games. All it really needs is a /well polished/ game to
> pave the way. Perl has Frozen Bubble. Python has PyDance... etc.
>
> All that is really needed to go beyond that, such as an FPS, is to have a
> compiled C library with the most intense graphics routines - Blitting,
> managing (large) images. With Ruby doing the logic and manipulating a
> compiled game core doing the graphics, I'd probably be willing to pit that
> against Java (which is interpreted bytecode, after all).

There is more to a game than graphics routines. Animations, networking,
movers, etc. are all very time-sensitive. You couldn't really do much of
that in Ruby; not well enough for a game (unless you just wanted to say "hey,
look, it works!"). You could, however, script various components with Ruby
to make different variations of the game, and to handle certain parts of the
game such as menuing and option dialogs. I can see using Ruby where Unreal
Tournament used UnrealScript. But not for a game engine itself.

In that vein, you could say that Unreal Tournament was written in UnrealScript
because the game itself is just a collection of components provided by the
game engine. UnrealScript did the actual work, throwing up options dialogs,
launching games, providing the game actions, etc. The game engine itself was
pretty much incapable of playing a Deathmatch, Assault or Domination game;
UnrealScript did all that.

So: yes and no, I think. =)

Sean O'Dell

PepsiFreak@teranews.com

"Jack Johnson" <jdjj2@msn.com> wrote in message
> Your living in complete DENIAL, Ray. YES, the rich DO move jobs
> overseas, (to the third world), to indeed.........MAKE BIGGER PROFITS.
> No other reason. In places like China, India and Mexico......they pay a
> small fraction to what they are obligated to even pay their minimum wage
> workers here. They DON'T have to pay health insurance, dental
> insurance, vacations or unemployment insurance. They WON'T have to
> deal with restrictions, because those countries put their economy first,
> and people's safety second, (if it's considered at all). Environmental
> regulations......forget about it. They don't exist.
>

> As for what you say that $176.00 per month can buy.....you exaggerate.
> MOST workers, in China, live in crampt one or two bedroom apartments,
> (which they share with several other people). MOST Chineese workers DO
> NOT own cars, or much more than the cloths on their backs. They barely
> eat. I own a documentary called: "WAL-MART: The HIGH cost of LOW
> price". It shows video evidence of these minimum wage workers,
> supplying Wal-Mart, living in absolute poverty. Working LONG hours,
> for a lousey $176 a month. Don't even try to make a case for how great
> they have it.......'cause they DON'T. Our corporations are there,
> taking FULL advantage of their misery. It IS immoral.

and "business" colleges do not teach morality - they teach profits.