Need some addition in Ruby/Tk

Sabyasachi Mustafi

11/8/2003 7:25:00 AM

Hello all, Our software is expected to be installed in this month. After two months of extensive use of Ruby/Tk I have something to say about it. I think to make real life applications quickly we need more in the area of Ruby/Tk as in the following.1. Tkcombobox should be added in the Ruby Distribution.2. Both of the List box and combo box should have the option to provide two values as in Visual Basic (Bound Column)3. Need something like Grid. I think there is TkTable but I am not sure about it. I have used 1.6 version. May be in 1.8 the problems are solved. What is your opinion?With Regards,Sabyasachi Mustafi
4 Answers

Ferenc Engard

Hello,

Sabyasachi Mustafi wrote:

> Hello all,
> Our software is expected to be installed in this month. After two months of extensive use of Ruby/Tk I have something to say about it I think to make real life applications quickly we need more in the area of Ruby/Tk as in the following.
>
> 1. Tkcombobox should be added in the Ruby Distribution.

Actually, combobox should be added to Tk. :-( There is at least five
combobox implementations, none of which are part of the core (Tcl/)Tk
distribution. I use (strictly for prototyping, later I will replace it)
TixComboBox.

> 2. Both of the List box and combo box should have the option to provide two values as in Visual Basic (Bound Column)

You can extend the widgets easily with addPair(), selectId(), text2id(),
currentId() functions, which simply manipulate a hash.

> 3. Need something like Grid. I think there is TkTable but I am not sure about it.

Yes, there is, and TkTable is great! I have written a wrapper to it, but
didn't released it yet. You can download it from here:

http://www.korus.hu/~fery/ruby/...

In my opinion, the bare Tk without any extensions is a bit featureless
(no keyboard shortcuts, missing key widgets (combobox, grid etc.),
lacking framework for writing custom widgets...). If you use it from
tcl, it is compensated by the lots of widget and other libraries which
is available for tk. Unfortunately, if you use Tk from ruby, it is much
more harder to use these libs. Also, there are problems with the ruby/tk
implementation itself (e.g. callback and exceptions, maybe corrected in
CVS). If I could restart my (mainly GUI-oriented, database handling)
project, I think I would choose another GUI lib (or, shame, another
language). :-/

Regards,
Ferenc

Hidetoshi NAGAI

Nikolay Ponomarenko

Hello Hidetoshi,
Monday, November 10, 2003, 5:01:23 AM, you wrote:

>> 1. Tkcombobox should be added in the Ruby Distribution.
HN> Which one do you talk about? There are some kinds of Ruby/Tk samples
HN> and Tcl/Tk extensions.

It'll be nice to use something like
Hugecombo
Hugelist
:)))

>> 3. Need something like Grid. I think there is TkTable but I am not
>> sure about it.

HN> Ruby/Tk depends on Tcl/Tk libraries linked to the tcltklib extension.
HN> Do you say that Tcl/Tk's grid geometry manager is not enough?
HN> If so, you'll have to create a wrapper of Tcl/Tk's geometry managers.
HN> Or you can try to use Tcl/Tk extensions (e.g. TkTable) on Ruby/Tk.

There is an wrapper under TkTable written by
Ferenc Engard <ferenc(at) engard.hu>
May be it can be included into Ruby/Tk distribution ....

--
Best regards,
Nikolay

Hidetoshi NAGAI