PDF output how-to ...

Useko Netsumi

11/7/2003 4:14:00 PM

Is there any example on how to format my photo(and some text description
such as title, description, location, and date/time) to a PDF file.

I'd like to be able to fit as much as possible in a page(approx. 3-4 photos)
but do not want to cross-page that is if it does not fit for the whole pic,
then go to the next page.
.
Anyone has any tips on how to do it, perhaps some simple example on how to
do it in Ruby.

Thanks.

5 Answers

George N. White III

Useko Netsumi

Thank George, I'll take a look at them as you suggested.

From your experience, is it easier to use it with or without PHP in mind?

"George N. White III" <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Useko Netsumi wrote:
>
> > Is there any example on how to format my photo(and some text description
> > such as title, description, location, and date/time) to a PDF file.
>
> This sort of task that requires a proper document layout program. There
> is a lot of information needed to lay out a PDF document, mainly to deal
> with fonts, so you are better off generating a source file that can be
> passed to a layout package.
>
> One that is both excellent and free is pdftex. There are good TeX distros
> for all widely used and other platforms. They all provide lots of
> examples and documentation, and are supported by a large user community.
> The most robust approach is to convert your image to PDF format (e.g.,
> using gimp or ImageMagick) and then "place" the image in a document.
>
> > I'd like to be able to fit as much as possible in a page(approx. 3-4
> > photos) but do not want to cross-page that is if it does not fit for the
> > whole pic, then go to the next page.
> >
> > Anyone has any tips on how to do it, perhaps some simple example on how
> > to do it in Ruby.
>
> Take a look at the example documents at http://www.prag..., which
> were mostly generated using the ConTeXt macro package with pdftex. The
> input files are simple ASCII with markup codes to control the layout, and
> there is also support for XML.
>
> --
> George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
> Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada

Useko Netsumi

Oops sorry ... my other project is in the way. I used PHP on Windows for the
Web related apps since I can't get mod_ruby/eruby running on my Windows with
the Apache and Ruby 1.8.

Anyway, what I meant to say is ...
....with or without Ruby in mind?(just use straight LaTex or other
formatting tools instead of using Ruby function).

"Useko Netsumi" <_no-spam_usenets@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Thank George, I'll take a look at them as you suggested.
>
> From your experience, is it easier to use it with or without PHP in mind?
>

> "George N. White III" <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Useko Netsumi wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any example on how to format my photo(and some text
description
> > > such as title, description, location, and date/time) to a PDF file.
> >
> > This sort of task that requires a proper document layout program. There
> > is a lot of information needed to lay out a PDF document, mainly to deal
> > with fonts, so you are better off generating a source file that can be
> > passed to a layout package.
> >
> > One that is both excellent and free is pdftex. There are good TeX
distros
> > for all widely used and other platforms. They all provide lots of
> > examples and documentation, and are supported by a large user community.
> > The most robust approach is to convert your image to PDF format (e.g.,
> > using gimp or ImageMagick) and then "place" the image in a document.
> >
> > > I'd like to be able to fit as much as possible in a page(approx. 3-4
> > > photos) but do not want to cross-page that is if it does not fit for
the
> > > whole pic, then go to the next page.
> > >
> > > Anyone has any tips on how to do it, perhaps some simple example on
how
> > > to do it in Ruby.
> >
> > Take a look at the example documents at http://www.prag..., which
> > were mostly generated using the ConTeXt macro package with pdftex. The
> > input files are simple ASCII with markup codes to control the layout,
and
> > there is also support for XML.
> >
> > --
> > George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
> > Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada

Useko Netsumi

Opps ... sorry ...what I meant to say is ...

.....it with or without Ruby in mind?(Use straight LaTex or other formatting
tools).

PS: I used PHP since mod_ruby/eruby are not updated for the Ruby 1.8 and the
latest Apache. Anyone has any info?

"Useko Netsumi" <_no-spam_usenets@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Thank George, I'll take a look at them as you suggested.
>
> From your experience, is it easier to use it with or without PHP in mind?
>

> "George N. White III" <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Useko Netsumi wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any example on how to format my photo(and some text
description
> > > such as title, description, location, and date/time) to a PDF file.
> >
> > This sort of task that requires a proper document layout program. There
> > is a lot of information needed to lay out a PDF document, mainly to deal
> > with fonts, so you are better off generating a source file that can be
> > passed to a layout package.
> >
> > One that is both excellent and free is pdftex. There are good TeX
distros
> > for all widely used and other platforms. They all provide lots of
> > examples and documentation, and are supported by a large user community.
> > The most robust approach is to convert your image to PDF format (e.g.,
> > using gimp or ImageMagick) and then "place" the image in a document.
> >
> > > I'd like to be able to fit as much as possible in a page(approx. 3-4
> > > photos) but do not want to cross-page that is if it does not fit for
the
> > > whole pic, then go to the next page.
> > >
> > > Anyone has any tips on how to do it, perhaps some simple example on
how
> > > to do it in Ruby.
> >
> > Take a look at the example documents at http://www.prag..., which
> > were mostly generated using the ConTeXt macro package with pdftex. The
> > input files are simple ASCII with markup codes to control the layout,
and
> > there is also support for XML.
> >
> > --
> > George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
> > Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada

gabriele renzi

il Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:13:52 -0500, "Useko Netsumi"
<_no-spam_usenets@nyc.rr.com> ha scritto::

>I'd like to be able to fit as much as possible in a page(approx. 3-4 photos)
>but do not want to cross-page that is if it does not fit for the whole pic,
>then go to the next page.
>.
>Anyone has any tips on how to do it, perhaps some simple example on how to
>do it in Ruby.
>
>Thanks.

possibly you could take a look at PDF::Writer, pure ruby, simple, with
extensive documentation, and liberal license :)
look up in raa