A question about SMS

Sabyasachi Mustafi

11/5/2003 10:09:00 AM

Thanks for your mail. I got the book. Another problem with RUBY just coming in my mind. May I develop a program to send SMS in RUBY? How to do that? Any help?Waiting for your reply,With Regards,Sabyasachi Mustafi>>Please note that the book in the Windows help format is a part of the Windows>Ruby installer by Pragmatic Programmers>(http://rubyinstaller.sourc...).>
3 Answers

Dalibor Sramek

Quoting Sabyasachi Mustafi <sabymus@rediffmail.com>:
> Thanks for your mail. I got the book. Another problem with RUBY just coming
> in my mind. May I develop a program to send SMS in RUBY? How to do that? Any
> help?

The answer is yes but as far as I know there is no straithforward way (I mean
something like ruby-sms library).
There are at least two solutions:
1, using an external programm (e.g. gnokii)
2, controling a phone directly via serial port (it may be possible to use AT
commands to send messages depending on the phone)

If you plan to use unixlike OS for the task I would recommend number 1. It is
very easy and fast to setup (gnokii must however support your phone).

Regards,

Dalibor

--
Dalibor Sramek http://www.insu... | In the eyes of cats,
dalibor.sramek@insula.cz | all things belong to cats.

Carl Youngblood

Most cell phone companies provide an email-to-SMS gateway. You could
just have your ruby app send an email to provide SMS.

Sabyasachi Mustafi wrote:
> Thanks for your mail. I got the book. Another problem with RUBY just coming in my mind. May I develop a program to send SMS in RUBY? How to do that? Any help?
>
> Waiting for your reply,
>
> With Regards,
> Sabyasachi Mustafi
>

>>Please note that the book in the Windows help format is a part of the Windows
>>Ruby installer by Pragmatic Programmers
>>(http://rubyinstaller.sourc...).

Terje Elde

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 08:31:58PM +0900, Dalibor Sramek wrote:
> > Thanks for your mail. I got the book. Another problem with RUBY just coming
> > in my mind. May I develop a program to send SMS in RUBY? How to do that? Any
> > help?
>
> The answer is yes but as far as I know there is no straithforward way (I mean
> something like ruby-sms library).
> There are at least two solutions:
> 1, using an external programm (e.g. gnokii)
> 2, controling a phone directly via serial port (it may be possible to use AT
> commands to send messages depending on the phone)
>
> If you plan to use unixlike OS for the task I would recommend number 1. It is
> very easy and fast to setup (gnokii must however support your phone).

There's a third way. You can use one of the many online sms providers. It's
easy to register and pay for messages with a VISA card, and you can usually
talk to these services using protocols like xml-rpc, or simply passing custom
xml messages over a TCP/IP connection.

Terje Elde