Re: Problem in Ruby with Mysql

Dalibor Sramek

11/4/2003 1:19:00 PM

Quoting "Michael C. Libby" <m_libby@andsoforth.com>:
> Is Mysql.rb your own code? I couldn't find any file like that in the RAA
> MySQL module. If so, can you show us what the code around line 472 of your
> Mysql.rb script is?

There are now two versions of Ruby/MySQL interface in the RAA:
- mysql-ruby which uses the native client library
- ruby-mysql which is pure Ruby

Although the two have compatible interfaces I would recommend using the native
version if possible. ruby-mysql is relatively new and I experienced a few
surprises while playing with it.

Regards,

Dalibor

--
Dalibor Sramek http://www.insu... | In the eyes of cats,
dalibor.sramek@insula.cz | all things belong to cats.

1 Answer

Michael C. Libby

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 07:19, Dalibor Sramek wrote:
> Quoting "Michael C. Libby" <m_libby@andsoforth.com>:
> > Is Mysql.rb your own code? I couldn't find any file like that in the
> > RAA MySQL module. If so, can you show us what the code around line 472
> > of your Mysql.rb script is?
>
> There are now two versions of Ruby/MySQL interface in the RAA:
> - mysql-ruby which uses the native client library
> - ruby-mysql which is pure Ruby

I guess I missed that! Thanks for the information. :)

And looking at the mysql.rb from ruby-mysql, I wonder if maybe it is a
problem unique to Ruby 1.6.7? I can't crash the Mysql#scramble (which
starts at the referenced line 472) method on my system using Ruby from
CVS-- even by throwing huge binary files into the inputs (it didn't finish
in 30 minutes or so, but it didn't segfault either).

-michael

Michael C. Libby m_libby@andsoforth.com

see my photos and Ruby programs at:
www.andsoforth.com