Re: RUBY Project in West Bengal (India

Sabyasachi Mustafi

11/4/2003 11:11:00 AM

Hello Vivek, Thanks for your mail. Please send me the book. I wrote about the print outs in RUBY. I need something to make the print outs through the software developed in RUBY. But I think if I have to handle files to generate the output and the print the file then it will not be same in the various OS. I don't know how to make prints through RUBY. Any other option to make print outs without file handling as I stated ( write the output in a file and then make print out of the file)?Thanks Sabyasachi MustafiOn Tue, 04 Nov 2003 Vivek Nallur wrote :>Hi Sabyasachi>>There aren't too many ruby programmers in India. Infact, the only one I>know of is Shashank (I don't know where he's based though) and I'm in>Mumbai.>>I'm not sure what you mean by "make printouts in windows". If you want to>write into MS Word and format the text, then you could use the WIN32OLE>module to control Word through Automation. Look up the Pickaxe book for>examples. Infact, the Pickaxe book is probably your best bet for starting>out programming in Ruby (including cgi programming with ruby). I've got>the book in .chm format and I could send it over, if you like.>>cheers>Vivek>
1 Answer

Dalibor Sramek

Quoting Sabyasachi Mustafi <sabymus@rediffmail.com>:
> Thanks for your mail. Please send me the book. I wrote about the print
> outs in RUBY. I need something to make the print outs through the software
> developed in RUBY. But I think if I have to handle files to generate the
> output and the print the file then it will not be same in the various OS. I
> don't know how to make prints through RUBY. Any other option to make print
> outs without file handling as I stated ( write the output in a file and then
> make print out of the file)?

Please note that the book in the Windows help format is a part of the Windows
Ruby installer by Pragmatic Programmers
(http://rubyinstaller.sourc...).

I do not know about an easy way to print directly from Ruby but you can use HTML
for the intermediate file and a browser to print it if you need to support more
OSes.

Regards,

Dalibor

--