Ruby bindings

Elias Athanasopoulos

11/3/2003 6:30:00 PM

Hello!

Consider I have a collection of some C++ libs, in which I have
access to the actual source code (strict C++). I want to create
Ruby bindings and be able to utilize the C++ code through Ruby.

Is there a standard process in doing such a thing? Any document
describing the process, except the Ruby sources?

So far I have only the ruby-gtk+ sources, which, IMHO, is a
heavy project and I have no clue if the ruby-gtk+ folks follow
a standard model or something else (for performance reasons).

Regards,
--
University of Athens I bet the human brain
Physics Department is a kludge --Marvin Minsky

5 Answers

Daniel Carrera

http://www.rubycentral.com/book/ext...

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 03:29:44AM +0900, Elias Athanasopoulos wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Consider I have a collection of some C++ libs, in which I have
> access to the actual source code (strict C++). I want to create
> Ruby bindings and be able to utilize the C++ code through Ruby.
>
> Is there a standard process in doing such a thing? Any document
> describing the process, except the Ruby sources?
>
> So far I have only the ruby-gtk+ sources, which, IMHO, is a
> heavy project and I have no clue if the ruby-gtk+ folks follow
> a standard model or something else (for performance reasons).
>
> Regards,
> --
> University of Athens I bet the human brain
> Physics Department is a kludge --Marvin Minsky

--
Daniel Carrera | Aleph-0 bottles of beer on the wall, Aleph-0 bottles
PhD student. | of beer. Take one down, pass it around, Aleph-0

ptkwt

In article <20031103182855.GA805@velka.phys.uoa.gr>,
Elias Athanasopoulos <elathan@phys.uoa.gr> wrote:
>Hello!
>
>Consider I have a collection of some C++ libs, in which I have
>access to the actual source code (strict C++). I want to create
>Ruby bindings and be able to utilize the C++ code through Ruby.
>
>Is there a standard process in doing such a thing? Any document
>describing the process, except the Ruby sources?
>
>So far I have only the ruby-gtk+ sources, which, IMHO, is a
>heavy project and I have no clue if the ruby-gtk+ folks follow
>a standard model or something else (for performance reasons).

I would probably use Swig ( http://ww... ) to wrap a fairly large,
already existin library. The Ruby/swig docs at that site are pretty good
and should get you started. There's also a swig mailing list that can
answer your questions.

Phil

Elias Athanasopoulos

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 01:33:58PM -0500, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> http://www.rubycentral.com/book/ext...

Wow! Are you the king of the fastest reply? Thanks!

Regards,
--
University of Athens I bet the human brain
Physics Department is a kludge --Marvin Minsky

Joel VanderWerf

Elias Athanasopoulos wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Consider I have a collection of some C++ libs, in which I have
> access to the actual source code (strict C++). I want to create
> Ruby bindings and be able to utilize the C++ code through Ruby.
>
> Is there a standard process in doing such a thing? Any document
> describing the process, except the Ruby sources?

If you mean process in the sense of executable software, SWIG/Ruby is great:

http://www...
http://www...Doc1.3/Ruby.html

Alexander Neundorf

> Hello!
>
> Consider I have a collection of some C++ libs, in which I have
> access to the actual source code (strict C++). I want to create
> Ruby bindings and be able to utilize the C++ code through Ruby.
>
> Is there a standard process in doing such a thing? Any document
> describing the process, except the Ruby sources?
>
> So far I have only the ruby-gtk+ sources, which, IMHO, is a
> heavy project and I have no clue if the ruby-gtk+ folks follow
> a standard model or something else (for performance reasons).
>
> Regards,

Maybe Ruby/DL already helps ?
http://ttsky.net/ruby/ru...
It is included in ruby since 1.8 I think.
You can find more documentation under ruby/ext/dl/

Bye
Alex

Jetzt kostenlos anmelden unter http://w...