$: and home-made packages

Kero van Gelder

10/29/2003 11:36:00 PM

Hello,

Wondering about the place where to put files and why;

irb> puts $:
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i686-linux
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-linux
.

first two seem to be for 1.8 specific, local packages,
#4 and #5 are for Ruby itself,
number three is for any ruby-version, local packages,
last one is convenient for testing without installing.

Question: where would I put ruby-version independent, local, binary files
(a shared library) or don't these exist for some reason?

Question: would an additional (or perhaps implicit) platform-directory for
number 3 and number 6 be an option?

with "implicit" I mean that $: would be reduced to
[
"/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8", "/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby",
"/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8", "."
]
and platform specific directories would be checked additionally.

Reason: I want to do everything at the same time: testing,
cross-compiling, installing. If I could compile from ./*.c to
../platform/*.o and ./platform/*.so, then I don't need to clean and rebuild
when I change platform: but various workarounds (changing $:) won't
work if the default $: doesn't include it (or on install, I'd try an extra
../platform/ directory that's not necessary, doesn't exist or is the wrong
directory).

Bye,
Kero.

| all the meaningless and empty words I spoke |
| Promises -- The Cranberries |
+--- M38c --- http://httpd.chello.nl/k... ---+