Ruby Download options

Daniel Carrera

10/28/2003 9:47:00 PM

Hello,

I have finished the first draft of "ooo_extract". A program to extract/search data
from OpenOffice.org files. I am putting up a project website explaining more clearly
how it works.

I am writing the section explaining what Ruby is and where you can get it.

Q1: Am I right to assume that Ruby 1.8.0 should provide zlib in all platforms?

Q2: I have a link to the Ruby source, and to the one-click Windows installer. Is
there an RPM I can get also? What should I do about Macs? I know that OS X comes
with Ruby. Is it version 1.8.0? Does it come with zlib? If not, where can I get a
binary Mac installer?

When the page is done I'll make an announcement.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera | OpenPGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
PhD grad student. |

4 Answers

Daniel Carrera

Alright, good to know. I have mentioned that on the website. This brings up another
point:

Does Mac OS X have zlib? Does the one-click Windows installer provide zlib?

I now that OS X comes with Ruby, but it won't be version 1.8.0, correct? Does OS X
come with everything needed to compile Ruby? I imagine it does not.

Cheers,
Daniel.

--
Daniel Carrera | OpenPGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
PhD grad student. |
Mathematics Dept. | "To understand recursion, you must first
UMD, College Park | understand recursion".

Lyle Johnson

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Q1: Am I right to assume that Ruby 1.8.0 should provide zlib in all platforms?

Well... The 'zlib' extension module depends on the zlib library
(http://www.gzi...) being installed at build time. I think this
is pretty much a given on Linux, but probably not so for other flavors
of Unix (say, Solaris). For those platforms, one would want to first
download and install the zlib library, *then* configure, build and
install Ruby 1.8.0. Otherwise the Ruby build will just skip over the
build and installation of the 'zlib' extension module.

gabriele renzi

il Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:32:53 +0900, Daniel Carrera
<dcarrera@math.umd.edu> ha scritto::

>Alright, good to know. I have mentioned that on the website. This brings up another
>point:
>
>Does Mac OS X have zlib? Does the one-click Windows installer provide zlib?

C:\>irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'zlib'
=> true

I think the pragprog installer gives you zlib..

Lyle Johnson

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Does Mac OS X have zlib? Does the one-click Windows installer provide zlib?

Yes, Mac OS X has zlib and I think others have confirmed that the
Windows installer includes this.

> I know that OS X comes with Ruby, but it won't be version 1.8.0, correct?

Mac OS 10.2 (Jaguar) comes with ruby 1.6.7. I haven't installed Mac OS
10.3 (Panther) but my understanding is that it also includes ruby 1.6.x
(not ruby 1.8.0).

> Does OS X come with everything needed to compile Ruby? I imagine it does not.

No, one would need to download and install the developer tools first.