Random database generator

Martin DeMello

10/26/2003 1:10:00 PM

Partly as a way of learning ruby/db interaction, and partly because it's
an app I've felt the need for, I'm thinking of writing a random database
generator (i.e. something that'll read in a schema, and populate it with
random records). Basically, a low-powered version of
http://www.gsapps.com/products/data... - it should make
intelligent guesses about columns like Name, and at the very least have
predefined lists of items like names, address components, colours etc.
that the user can annotate a field with and have it filled in from the
list. Any pointers on the libraries I should be looking at?

martin
2 Answers

gabriele renzi

il Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:10:10 GMT, Martin DeMello
<martindemello@yahoo.com> ha scritto::

>Partly as a way of learning ruby/db interaction, and partly because it's
>an app I've felt the need for, I'm thinking of writing a random database
>generator (i.e. something that'll read in a schema, and populate it with
>random records). Basically, a low-powered version of
>http://www.gsapps.com/products/data... - it should make
>intelligent guesses about columns like Name, and at the very least have
>predefined lists of items like names, address components, colours etc.
>that the user can annotate a field with and have it filled in from the
>list. Any pointers on the libraries I should be looking at?

ruby-dbi and the various dbms-specific modules, I suppose.
BTW the project looks really cool :)

>martin

Martin DeMello

gabriele renzi <surrender_it@remove.yahoo.it> wrote:

> ruby-dbi and the various dbms-specific modules, I suppose.
> BTW the project looks really cool :)

thanks :)

martin