[ANN] Ruby/GNOME2 music player (initial release

Matthew Berg

10/25/2003 10:54:00 PM

I'm making a first public release of a music player I've been working
on available here:

http://www.gothpoodle.com/~galt/p...

As indicated on the page, this isn't anything to get too excited about,
since I'm not including the database code yet, but I figured it was
better to release something than nothing. Please keep in mind that not
only is this my first try at a GNOME application, it's my first time
writing anything in Ruby. Still, I hope the code isn't too painful to
look at with more experienced eyes. ;)

It's only been tested against a CVS checkout of Ruby/GNOME2, but should
work with the latest release version (0.7.0) as well. The current
dependencies are on GTK+, GNOME, GStreamer, and Glade. Future versions
will add a depenency on GConf and
an optional dependency on Gda.

I just finished with some major refactoring, and as such, there is some
level of disorganization (e.g. the methods in each class aren't really
in any particular order). Some other features are only partially
implemented (e.g. the .pls reader doesn't really understand the format).
Probably the biggest issue I've run into in a quick test is that it will
take a long time to determine that a file lacks metadata.

Anyways, if you give it a try and run into any bugs or have suggestions
for features or different behaviour, feel free to send me a mail.
Eventually I'll probably set up a Rubyforge page as well, but that
doesn't help anyone now. ;)

Matt