Re: ML <-> NG gateway is not working

Dave Thomas

10/22/2003 3:49:00 PM

On Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003, at 05:16 US/Central, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Guy has mentioned it a couple of times now. The gateway is not
> functioning correctly. It appears OK in the ML -> NG direction, but
> not the other way around.
>
> I know little about this gateway, other than it's discussed in "The
> Ruby Way" with source code included.
>
> Where is it run?
>
> Who looks after it?
>
> If nobody looks after it, can arrangements be made for someone to do
> so?

It's running on my box.

The problem is that my ISP just seemed to change NNTP servers, and as a
result the news posting msg ID sequence got changed. The gateway then
decided that it didn;t need to send stuff because it had already sent
that id.

I'd love to pass this baton on to someone who has a less flaky news
server. Any offers?

Cheers

Dave

5 Answers

Sean O'Dell

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 08:49 am, Dave Thomas wrote:
> On Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003, at 05:16 US/Central, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Guy has mentioned it a couple of times now. The gateway is not
> > functioning correctly. It appears OK in the ML -> NG direction, but
> > not the other way around.
> >
> > I know little about this gateway, other than it's discussed in "The
> > Ruby Way" with source code included.
> >
> > Where is it run?
> >
> > Who looks after it?
> >
> > If nobody looks after it, can arrangements be made for someone to do
> > so?
>
> It's running on my box.
>
> The problem is that my ISP just seemed to change NNTP servers, and as a
> result the news posting msg ID sequence got changed. The gateway then
> decided that it didn;t need to send stuff because it had already sent
> that id.
>
> I'd love to pass this baton on to someone who has a less flaky news
> server. Any offers?

Why is there a ML -> NG gateway anyway? It seems to me that the existence of
the newsgroup node pretty much defeats the advantages of being able to govern
a mailing list. Why not just use the newsgroup and kill the mailing list?
Or switch to a message board perhaps, and leave ruby-core as a mailing list?

Sean O'Dell

Jason Williams

In article <200310220921.06853.sean@celsoft.com>, Sean O'Dell wrote:
> Or switch to a message board perhaps, and leave ruby-core as a mailing list?

Please, please, no.

Aria Stewart

> Why is there a ML -> NG gateway anyway? It seems to me that the existence of
> the newsgroup node pretty much defeats the advantages of being able to govern
> a mailing list. Why not just use the newsgroup and kill the mailing list?
> Or switch to a message board perhaps, and leave ruby-core as a mailing list?

Because I can't access NNTP except via very delayed web interfaces, and
I cannot post at all.

However, if I were to be scanning for archives of messages about any
language, comp.lang.* is where I would start.

I think it makes sense. [I also get a bit of spam because I post to
Usenet via this address -- however, it's only gone up a few messages per
day since I started -- not as big a deal, I don't think.]

Martin DeMello

Sean O'Dell <sean@celsoft.com> wrote:

> Why is there a ML -> NG gateway anyway? It seems to me that the
> existence of the newsgroup node pretty much defeats the advantages of
> being able to govern a mailing list. Why not just use the newsgroup
> and kill the mailing list? Or switch to a message board perhaps, and
> leave ruby-core as a mailing list?

ngs are pull-based and mailing lists are push-based; this way you get to
pick the one you like best.

and *please*, don't even joke about switching to a message board :)

martin

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Hi!

* Dave Thomas; 2003-10-22, 21:32 UTC:
> The problem is that my ISP just seemed to change NNTP servers, and
> as a result the news posting msg ID sequence got changed. The
> gateway then decided that it didn;t need to send stuff because it
> had already sent that id.

What about using individual.net?

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Please take notice of signature! / Bitte Signature beachten!
--
db Wenn sie mir ohne meine Einwilligung geschickt wurde, db
dpqb wird eine E-Mail > 100 kB ungelesen entsorgt dpqb