Ruby-oriented Linux distro?

Hal E. Fulton

10/22/2003 8:01:00 AM

There's been some talk of something like this in the past.

If a project materialized, would anyone here be interested
in working on it?

I'm not spearheading this myself, but I have friends who are
very interested in it. I'll be an active participant in the
project.

Feel free to email me offlist.

Thanks,
Hal Fulton

34 Answers

Gavin Sinclair

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, 6:01:16 PM, Hal wrote:

> There's been some talk of something like this in the past.

> If a project materialized, would anyone here be interested
> in working on it?

> I'm not spearheading this myself, but I have friends who are
> very interested in it. I'll be an active participant in the
> project.

> Feel free to email me offlist.

What about onlist? Sounds interesting to me. What are the project
goals?

Gavin

Andrew Walrond

On Wednesday 22 Oct 2003 11:02 am, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, 6:01:16 PM, Hal wrote:
> > There's been some talk of something like this in the past.
> >
> > If a project materialized, would anyone here be interested
> > in working on it?
> >
> > I'm not spearheading this myself, but I have friends who are
> > very interested in it. I'll be an active participant in the
> > project.
> >
> > Feel free to email me offlist.

Sorry - missed the beginning of this thread, but it was I who spoke of this
before. Rubyx is the name, and I have yet to launch it publicly (Time... as
always)

However, Rubyx exists, works very nicely, and I'm using it in several
production environments.

It's currently light on packages (containing only those I've added), but
supports all the usual stuff; samba, cups, hylafax, apache, qmail etc, and
the kde desktop. Also a brand new Ruby based init-script system

Rubyx comes in the form of a script, which downloads all packages in source
form and builds everything from scratch with your choice of toolchain
versions.

Its been designed to be real-easy to add your favourite package, even if a
relative novice at coding. In most cases, you can just copy a similar package
object and change the name ;)

I would love some help with Rubyx; It's got loads of new features which you
have to play with to appreciate. If anybody is interested in getting
involved, if only in testing, then drop me a mail off list and I'll show you
how to get started.

A few words of warning though
1) Rubyx _improves_ on the FSH, imo ;)
2) Broadband, (or one hell of a lot of patience) is required while rubyx
downloads the sources. Unless you can persaude me to send you a cd ;)
3) Rubyx uses the free (for Open Source Development only) version of
bitkeeper to get kernel and other sources (linus uses bitkeeper), so if you
are a die-hard fsf nut then don't bother ;)
4) Well, there must be more dire warnings, but I can't think of any...

Perhaps I'll setup a mailing list if enough people are interested in trying
it.

Andrew

Christian Szegedy

Andrew Walrond wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 Oct 2003 11:02 am, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
>

> However, Rubyx exists, works very nicely, and I'm using it in several
> production environments.

WOW!!!

How does it compare too gentoo linux?

Does it have a package management (using version information and
dependencies) a la portage?

Michael Garriss

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:03:19PM +0900, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 Oct 2003 11:02 am, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, 6:01:16 PM, Hal wrote:
> > > There's been some talk of something like this in the past.
> > >
> > > If a project materialized, would anyone here be interested
> > > in working on it?
> > >
> > > I'm not spearheading this myself, but I have friends who are
> > > very interested in it. I'll be an active participant in the
> > > project.
> > >
> > > Feel free to email me offlist.
> >

> Sorry - missed the beginning of this thread, but it was I who spoke of this
> before. Rubyx is the name, and I have yet to launch it publicly (Time... as
> always)
>
> However, Rubyx exists, works very nicely, and I'm using it in several
> production environments.
>
> It's currently light on packages (containing only those I've added), but
> supports all the usual stuff; samba, cups, hylafax, apache, qmail etc, and
> the kde desktop. Also a brand new Ruby based init-script system

I was playing with an idea like this awhile back. I've always hated
that init.d or rc.d sytle scripts (I've since moved a lot to
daemontools).

I might be able to help as I have good experience with LinuxFromScratch and I've built some distros for diskless nodes.

Michael Garriss

Andrew Walrond

On Wednesday 22 Oct 2003 2:48 pm, Michael Garriss wrote:

> I was playing with an idea like this awhile back. I've always hated
> that init.d or rc.d sytle scripts (I've since moved a lot to
> daemontools).

Snap. Infact djb's daemontools were the inspiration for my ruby init-script
and shares many features. I also use djb's dnscache, tinydns and qmail ;)

> I might be able to help as I have good experience with LinuxFromScratch and
> I've built some distros for diskless nodes.

Excellent. Do you have bitkeeper, cvs, cvsup and rsync installed? (and ruby,
obviously...)?

Gavin Sinclair

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, 9:03:19 PM, Andrew wrote:

> [...]

> Perhaps I'll setup a mailing list if enough people are interested in trying
> it.

I'm not in much of a position to try it out myself, but I'd certainly
listen in on a ML if you set it up.

Gavin

Melanie Fielder

"Andrew Walrond" <andrew@walrond.org> skrev i en meddelelse
[snip]
> Perhaps I'll setup a mailing list if enough people are interested in
trying
> it.

When do you register 'Rubyx' as a project at rubyforge ?
Then you get mailinglist for free... but with cvs (no bitkeeper).

--
Simon Strandgaard

Aria Stewart

If anyone wants to contribute add-ons to PLD (http://pld...) to
be ruby-based, I don't think that's at odds with the development plan:
PLD aims to give choice where there is one. That can include base
infrastructure like init scripts.

I don't know if Andrew would like to contribute any of his work, but I'd
be willing to package it up. Also, I'd love to hear what everyone's
thoughts on what "should" come with a system that supports Ruby -- how
much do you expect to install yourself, how do you expect a system
package manager to work with Ruby, and what would you like done for you?

Ari

csm

Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair@soyabean.com.au> wrote in message news:<41226050.20031022200127@soyabean.com.au>...
> On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, 6:01:16 PM, Hal wrote:
>
> > There's been some talk of something like this in the past.
>
> > If a project materialized, would anyone here be interested
> > in working on it?
>
> > I'm not spearheading this myself, but I have friends who are
> > very interested in it. I'll be an active participant in the
> > project.
>
> > Feel free to email me offlist.
>
> What about onlist? Sounds interesting to me. What are the project
> goals?
>
> Gavin

Hal was asking that question at my behest and I am sure he's now
wondering just how much he can say... :-)

The answer is quite a bit...

The distro he's talking about is Lunar Linux (http://lunar...).
A source based distribution built to be fast and easily updated (both
of which it is). It makes a great developer OS because it's very
simple to keep it on the bleeding edge if that's where you want to be.

We have been talking about replacing our application management system
(currently bash based) with Ruby for about a year and one of our dev's
has done some initial coding to that end (and that code is in our cvs
right now though not exposed as it is *not* yet usable).

Others can talk about the technical details much better than I can as
I am a complete newbie to Ruby though I like what I hear and see a
lot.

Lunar is on it's 6th release and, thus far, has managed to stay well
under the radar. If you want to nab a copy and install it to see where
we are now you can grab our last ISO from here:

http://www.deepfog.net/lunar/lunar-1.3...

(very fast download as that is an internet2 site)

Anyway my purpose here is to engender some discussion and maybe start
a push to get us going on lunar2. :-)

ptkwt

In article <200310221203.02377.andrew@walrond.org>,
Andrew Walrond <andrew@walrond.org> wrote:
>On Wednesday 22 Oct 2003 11:02 am, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
>> On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, 6:01:16 PM, Hal wrote:
>> > There's been some talk of something like this in the past.
>> >
>> > If a project materialized, would anyone here be interested
>> > in working on it?
>> >
>> > I'm not spearheading this myself, but I have friends who are
>> > very interested in it. I'll be an active participant in the
>> > project.
>> >
>> > Feel free to email me offlist.
>>

>Sorry - missed the beginning of this thread, but it was I who spoke of this
>before. Rubyx is the name, and I have yet to launch it publicly (Time... as
>always)
>
>However, Rubyx exists, works very nicely, and I'm using it in several
>production environments.
>
>It's currently light on packages (containing only those I've added), but
>supports all the usual stuff; samba, cups, hylafax, apache, qmail etc, and
>the kde desktop. Also a brand new Ruby based init-script system

This would make a good subject for an article in Linux Magazine|Journal.
There has been a lot of buzz lately about alternatives Linux's current
init-script system (for example on /. a few weeks back there was a story
about a Python-based init). You'd get some publicity for your project,
and a bit of cash (probably around $400 for a 3 page article) as well as
some publicity for Ruby.

Phil